XIII

Monday.

            Louis didn’t come to pick me up for school, and I had a bruise on my jaw to remind me why. I didn’t want to go anyway. But my mom forced me out the door, and soon I was inside the building I wanted to vomit.

            “Zayn!”

            Harry was there suddenly, running towards me, his curls bouncing on his head. And I knew it was bad, but I flinched away from him a little bit, “Yes, Harry?”

            “Louis wanted to apologize for hitting you,”

            “Then why isn’t he here himself,” I growled, “Harry, it’s really nice of you to do this for him, but you really need to ask him about the election,”

            “What do you mean?” Harry squinted his eyes.

            “I mean,” I sighed, “That you should ask him how many times he voted,”

            “Are you implying that my boyfriend cheated?” Harry yelled.

            “Maybe that’s exactly what I’m saying,” I breathed, turning around and walking the other direction, down the hall and towards the auditorium. We had the winner’s announcement and speech today. I didn’t even prepare anything. Because even if I did win, I was going to turn it down. There was no way I could be President. Not anymore. Not even if Liam begged.

            The ceremony started and I barely noticed. My mind was just too fogged. Harry was beside me, not looking friendly at all now, and we were ushered on stage.

            “Okay, welcome to the induction ceremony for our new Student Body President. Before the ceremony can begin I would like to announce the winner of this year’s election. Now, both of our candidates have been amazing, so let’s give them both a hand,” The audience went up into a loud cheer, and then the Mr. Fletcher opened the envelope, “The winner of this year’s election is Zayn Malik,”

            I dropped my head into my hands in anger. This is exactly what I didn’t want to happen. I glanced over to Harry, whose eyes were already filling with tears, and I walked up to the podium. After clearing my throat, I breathed the words I had been thinking about all weekend, “I withdraw from the position and happily hand it over to Harry Styles,”

            And then I walked off stage, and out of the auditorium, not looking back or caring what was happening in my leave. Harry would be happy. Maybe Louis wouldn’t hate me. And maybe Liam would forgive me for giving up.

            “Zayn! Stop!” It was Liam, looking distressed and chasing me down the hallway, his tie fluttering behind his shoulder. “What is going on in your beautiful mind right now?”

            I stopped and turned around, looking him in the eye, “A lot,”

            “Babe, tell me,”

            “Don’t call me that here,” I reminded. Liam took a step away from me. “Mr. Payne, I’ll see you later.”

            “Zayn, what is going on with you?”

            I bit my lip, looking up into Liam’s beautiful eyes again, and gave him a small smile, “Everything is fine, Mr. Payne. Can we talk later?”

            Liam nodded then, and watched as I ran off, hiding in a bathroom stall until next class period.