XVI

By the time the next week passed, it was freezing and I had resorted to wearing sweaters and beanie hats to keep myself warm. Liam started to bundle up too, and I had to admit, sweaters on Liam were just about as amazing as it got.

            Louis and I still hadn’t spoken since our fight, however, everyone kept telling me that he just stopped limping around and protecting his balls for his life.  In retrospect, I wish those words would have made me smile and laugh. But really, they just made me feel bad. I knew that I would have to confront Louis, before the holidays started, because we always got together and decorated and made cookies, ever since we were little. The thought that we may not do that this year really hurt and I felt worse than ever. If only Louis would stop acting so dense.

            So I searched for Louis again, finally finding him in the Library, somewhere I should have checked first.

            He didn’t even look up when I arrived next to him, so I said, “How are your balls?” Which really probably wasn’t the best thing to say.

            “Go away,” He whispered.

            “Louis, let’s talk,” I said, sitting down, “Please?”

            “Okay, let’s talk Zayn,” Louis hissed, looking up at me.

            “Great,” I said. I knew that he wasn’t being fully serious and wasn’t going to give me long to talk, “I just want to say that I’m sorry for hitting and kicking you,”

            “Okay,” He said.

            “Is there anything you want to say to me?” I asked hopefully. Louis’ resolve was breaking. I could see it in his eyes. I could start to see the old Louis, the one that was my best friend, looking at me, and it gave me some hope.

            “You were right,” Louis said, not looking so mean anymore, and just looking hurt.

            “About what?” I asked.

            “About me cheating,” He breathed, “I put in the extra slips,”

            “Okay,” I said, because damn it, that was a start on getting back to normal.

            “And I’m sorry,” He added, pulling his beanie further over his head, “I’m sorry for putting Harry before you, but I had a reason, you know. I didn’t just…do that because I hated you. I wanted you to win Zayn, but Harry needed to win,”

            “May I ask why he needed to win?” I asked.

            “Damn it Zayn,” Louis cursed, standing up, “Why don’t you ask him, okay? You won’t believe it if I told you,”

            “What do you even mean?” I asked, “There is no reason why he would need to win a damn student body president election,”

            “His dad hits him,”

            “What?”

            “He’s abusive,”

            And then there was only silence. Now I understood. It made sense. It made sense that Louis was so freaked out of Harry needing to win. He was protecting his boyfriend. And I suddenly felt like a total jerk.

            “I’m so sorry,” I muttered, “Lou, if you would have told me, I would have dropped out right away,”

            “I know,” He sighed, “But he doesn’t want anyone to know. I shouldn’t have even told you,”