XXII

The next few days passed the same, until Thursday night. I felt the urge to talk to Liam. I needed to see him, to hear his voice, to feel his body against mine. After I heard what he had to say at the hospital, I couldn’t get him out of my mind, no matter what I did. I was willing to do this. I was so close to being eighteen. So close. I pulled out my phone from where I was sitting on my bed and clicked Liam’s contact, my heart pounding as the phone rang a few times.

            “Hello? Zayn?” Liam said, his voice rough and deep. It sounded so good.

            “Yeah, it’s me,” I croaked.

            “Thank God, I was so worried about you. You have no idea…babe, are you okay? I mean, you were in a coma. Did you…did you hear what I said to you when I came and visited?” Liam rushed.

            “I’m fine,” I breathed, still not believing that I was talking to him, “And yeah, I heard everything that you said to me,”

            “Good…that’s….great actually. I was so worried damn it. I’m just… I miss you,” Liam settled.

            “I miss you too,” I admitted, feeling that hole in my stomach start to close up. I started feeling better. Louis was right. I was still in love with Liam.

            “Your birthday is when? Next Tuesday? I’ll figure something out. Maybe I can take a break from teaching that day. I mean, since I teach Uni now it’s a lot more flexible, and maybe I can take you out to dinner or something,” Liam said.

            “Okay, Li,” I agreed, “I just…I miss you,”

            “I know, babe, I know, and I’m so sorry,” Liam mumbled, “I can’t believe that you are actually going to forgive me,”

            “When did I say that?” I challenged, “You, Mr. Payne, are going to have to beg,”

            There was a moment of silence and then, “I’m willing to do whatever the hell you want Zayn. I’m so sorry about all of this. I don’t think you understand,”

            “Okay,” I said, “I have to go now,”

            “Why?”

            “I figure I should talk to my parents,” I said.

            “Oh,”

            “Yeah,”

            “Okay, you hang up first,”

            “Are we really going to play this game, Liam?” I chuckled.

            “Yes,” He laughed back, “I’m not hanging up,”

            “Well me either,” I said.

            “Then we’ll be stuck here for awhile,”

            “I suppose,”

            “Good luck telling your parents,” He said.

            “Thanks,”

            “I love you,”

            “I love you too, Li,” I smiled.

            “I’m still not hanging up,”

            Then I chuckled and pulled the phone away from my face, hitting the end call button and shaking my head happily. Maybe things would work out for us after all. Maybe we would be just like Ruth and Mr. Landon, living happily ever after, as if nothing bad ever happened. I hoped we could do that. I hoped more than anything.