XIV

Winter was coming along, and it was kind of fun, the weather changing. Tuesday at school it snowed for the first time, and Harry took his place as Student Body President. Walking through the halls of school made me uneasy, because everyone stared at me like I was some sort of lunatic. Maybe it was because they didn’t understand why I dropped out of the election after I won. Maybe it was because I barely understood myself.

            During English that day I tried to pay attention to Liam the best I could as he talked about Shakespeare, because I could feel Louis’ eyes boring into the back of my head for the whole lesson. He hadn’t taken his regular seat beside me. It really hurt.

            I think Liam noticed, because he kept calling on me to answer questions, keeping me focused on the lesson. It was nice of him. Afterwards I practically ran out of the room, not seeing Louis for the rest of the day, because he didn’t show up to the journalism room for the paper meeting after school. But Niall and Josh did, hands entwined.

            “Hey Zayn,” Josh greeted, “I am here because I would like to join the paper,”

            I smiled and stuck my hand out, “Of course,”

            Josh laughed and shook my hand, sitting in the back of the room with Niall, the two of them not being able to keep their hands to themselves. No one really minded the gay couples at school I guess, and that was a nice thing to know. Too bad that didn’t matter to me anyway, because no one knew about my boyfriend, or the fact that he was a teacher.

            Seeing Niall after he kissed me was a little weird. But I didn’t think much of it. I don’t think he did either, so that was nice.

            The meeting was coming to a close, and Niall came up to talk to me.

            “I’m sorry about kissing you,” Niall breathed.

            “It’s fine, Niall, it was really nice of you,” I chuckled.

            “But…but I am sorry. I hope I didn’t overstep any boundaries,” Niall said. I barely noticed the strong presence of the person who stepped up beside me. I figured it was just some kid coming to turn in a submission. “Oh, and by the way, you are a really damn good kisser,” Niall laughed, “Bye Zayn,”

            I shook my head with a smile, and then turned to the person who had walked up in the middle of the conversation. Shit. It was Liam.

            “Zayn,” Mr. Payne said, his voice low and barely audible. My heart pounded in my chest. He had just overheard that Niall and I kissed and he thought I was a good kisser…shit. Shit. Shit.

            “H-Hi,” I stuttered, not looking into his eyes because they would surely break me, “Can I help you Mr. Payne?”

            “I just came to submit another work anonymously,” He breathed, “Since last time it did not make the paper,”

            “Okay,”

            “I’ll set it here,” He said.

            “Okay,”

            And then his voice dropped another octave, sounding so upset and venomous that it literally sent chills through me, “Meet me by my car for tutoring,”

Mr. Payne was gone before I could say anything else, and I collapsed to my seat, suddenly afraid to go see my damn boyfriend. What if he dumped me? What if he never wanted to talk to me again? He had just confessed that Noah had cheated on him when they were in Uni, and it broke his heart. What if he thought that I was cheating on him? My heart pounded and I shook my head, trying to get a grip. It would be fine. Liam loved me and I loved him, he would let me explain this.