XVII

My teeth shredded over my bottom lip and I’m pretty sure I was about to cry. Liam was in the office room next to mine and I could hear low and steady voice talking. Of course Liam wouldn’t yell. He is calm and put together at all times. But how could he do that now? We were caught and everything was destroyed. I was sitting alone in one of the comfortable chairs, but it didn’t feel very comfortable right now, it felt like a damn cage. I was fidgeting left and right, not being able to get comfortable at all. My mind was spinning. I wonder if they’ll call my parents. I really hope not. They’ll never trust me again. Think of all the times I lied to them.

The talking from the room next door died down, and I was about to break into tears. I honestly just couldn’t handle myself. The door clicked behind me and I swallowed, the dryness in my mouth feeling like I was eating cotton balls.

            “Zayn,” Mr. Fletcher smiled, sitting down at the desk across from me. I tried to send him a friendly smile too, but it came out like a grimace, because this was just all so terrible. “How are you feeling?”

            “I’m well, sir,” I said politely, “And you?”

            He chuckled, “Relax Zayn, I’m just going to ask you some questions,”

            “Okay,”

            “I first need to inform you that it is illegal to have intimate relations with your teacher, Zayn. And that you could get in serious trouble, also, Mr. Payne could get fired,” He took a pause, sipping from his water, “So, just answer these questions as honestly as possible,”

            I nodded, wide-eyed and worried.

            “Okay, so, why were you coming into Mr. Payne’s office during last period?”

            “I have no class,” I breathed, “And Mr. Payne and I always work on writing or discuss the paper,”

            “Good,” He smiled, “And why does he tutor you?”

            “To prepare me for college essays,” I said. It was nice to answer these questions honestly, because I knew I would have to lie about something soon.

            “Have you ever had an intimate moment with Mr. Payne?”

            “No,”

            “Really?”

            I nodded, not trusting my voice anymore.

            “And, has Mr. Payne, ever done anything to you? Touched you inappropriately or forced himself onto you?” I wanted to yell at him for accusing my beautiful Liam of something like that, because he would never hurt me, or…anything. He loved me. “Zayn, I know this can be hard and embarrassing for you to talk about,”

            “He’s never done anything like that to me,” My voice shook, “Honestly,”

            “Very well,” Mr. Fletcher exhaled, standing up, “That is all Mr. Malik, thank you. Have a nice vacation,”

            I was ushered out of the room, wondering why that had been so quick. Surely it had been something I did wrong. Or perhaps, something Liam did right. He knew what he was doing and I just prayed that I hadn’t screwed everything up.

            “Mr. Payne,” I breathed as soon as I was out of the office. Liam looked up at me from this seat and just shook his head, saying nothing and walking away from me. The tears were really welling up in my eyes now, and I had to shake my head to get a grip. Thank God I had Louis to drive me home after the paper today.