Chapter Twenty One

I wake up to someone singing in my ear. I open my eyes with tears in my eyes. I look up to see Luke moving his hand up and down and it takes me a moment to realize he’s playing with my hair. I move my head away from him and he looks at me surprised. “Are you better now?” He asks taking my hand. I shake my head.

            “I don’t want you to see me like this.” I say to him.

            “I’m not leaving you right now.” He says running his thumb down my cheek wiping away my dry cheek. “You need me.”

            “I don’t need anyone. I’m better off alone.” I say getting away from him. I jump out of the bed and as soon as he follows and comes up to me. I stop him by holding out my hand making contact with his chest. “If you don’t leave, I will.” I say through clenched teeth. I begin to walk to the door and he grabs my hand before pulling me into his chest. He wraps his arms around me and I do the same. “Please don’t leave me.” I whisper to him through my tears.

            “Never.” He whispers back running his hand up and down my back. “I’m always going to be here for you.” He says kissing my ear. “I’m never leaving you.” He takes my hand and leads me back to the bed. “Let’s just get you back to sleep.” He says lying down. I lay down next him before cuddling up to him.

            “I can’t believe she’s gone.” I whisper.

            “I know it’s hard to believe, but you’ll get used to it. It’ll be easier for you than it was for me.” He says before kissing my lips. “I promise you, it’ll get better. Now get some sleep.” He says.

            “What time is it anyways?” I ask before closing my eyes.

            “A little over four in the morning.” He says.

            “You didn’t sleep?” He shakes his head and I gasp. “Why not?”

            “Baby, how do you expect me to go to sleep with you going through this? I found you shaking uncontrollable in the bathroom. I just want to make sure you’re okay.”

            “I’m okay now.” I say smiling up to him. “You’re all the matters to me.” I say before closing my eyes.

~*~

            “Brittany, wake up. We have to get out of here now.” Luke says shoving my shoulder.

            “What’s going on?” I ask opening my eyes.

            “Paparazzi is outside.” He says we have to sneak out.

            “What the fuck.” I yell almost falling off the bed. “How the fuck did they find my house?” I ask.

            “I don’t know. But I’ve come up with an idea. I’m going to drive down the road to the dead end. I want you to sneak out the back and cross everyone’s backyard until you reach me. Pack a duffle bag or something, you’re staying at my place for a few days.” He says.

            “I already have one in my car from last night.” I whisper.

            “Okay so go, now. I’ll get 911 on the phone as I’m driving.” He says before running out the house. I grab my shoes and put them on while running out the door managing to keep myself balanced. I run out the back door after noticing my father sulking in shame on the kitchen counter.

            “Brittany, where the hell do you think you’re going?” He yells out. “There are paparazzi outside. I don’t want you going out there.”