Chapter Five

The first thing I notice in the morning paper is that there is a picture of my father and me at the restaurant from last night. The article’s title reads Joe Calasto’s most recent hotel in Las Angeles California. I read the article and it mentions how we’re staying here for good, it also mentions what high school I go to, and where I spend most of my time. As if people actually care, they should care more about the hotel and what’s going on with it, not where I’m spending my time. I shake my head and throw the paper into the trashcan and walk up to my room to get ready.

I might as well look my best if the media wants to start talking about my life. I wear my white and black blazer, with a neon pink necklace, my baby pink jeans and white heels. I look in the mirror happy with the way I look, walking out of the room grabbing my bling shades and my backpack on the way out.

            Once I pull into the parking lot, I see about five news reporters waiting outside the school. Luke pulls up next to me trying to hide me from the reporters. My phone rings, its Chloe letting me know she’s holding the back door open for me to get away from the reporters. “How long were they out there for?” I ask and they both shrug.

            “They beat us here.” Luke says wrapping his arm around me. “I thought you said you don’t get paparazzi.” Luke adds.

            “It’s only because they found out we moved here. I can’t believe the reporters actually gave out the school I went to, do they know how dangerous that is. Do you know how many stalkers are out there?

            I hear my name through the loud speaker telling me to report to the office. Luke walks me to the main office and refuses to leave until I’m ready to go to class. The principle calls my name and I look at Luke. I walk into her office and she tells me to sit down. “As you might now, your father came by early this morning.” She starts saying taking her seat. “He explained everything that is going on with you right now. We were discussing any ways to make this easier for you and he came up with the idea of you leaving classes early if needed.” She says. I look at her confused. “I’m not done yet. At first, I started to disagree with him, but you have reporters waiting for you outside. I talked to all your teachers and let them know it’s going to be different for a while.”

            “What does that mean?” I ask.

            “It means that, if you ever feel the need to leave class for any reason at all knowing what you’re going through, there is possibility that it won’t penalize your grades.” She says in conclusion. “I see you and Luke are great friends.” She says. “Please send him in and wait out in the lobby.” She says.

            I walk out with a confused look on my face and Luke gets up ready to leave. “She want’s to talk to you.” I say and he walks into her office. A few of the secretary’s are looking at me probably recognizing me from the paper today. Luke walks out and I get up to follow him to English, but of course, we wait till the hall way clears out.

            In class, everyone starts talking about the vans waiting outside. “What is it for anyway?” Someone asks and everyone starts to laugh at him.

            “It’s for Brittany, you dumbass, she’s the only famous person in this school.” One of Luke’s friends says.

            “Could you pretend this isn’t going on and ignore it, for once? Is it that hard to ignore it? You have to talk about it all day in front of me?” I say in almost a yelling tone. Everyone looks at me in shock. After all, it’s the first time I spoke up in class.

            “Enough class let it go. Have some respect for her.” Mrs. Newton says setting the group in a circle. She starts to talk about the media saying how they could be wrong. After we discuss the bullshit of the media, we start to get ready for the next play we’re doing by Shakespeare. “I’ve saved the best play for last, Romeo and Juliet.” She says and I look at her. “I’m switching it up for this one. I think it’ll be fair for Luke to play one of the characters.” She says and Luke looks at her as if she’s crazy. “Who do you want to be Luke? You need participation grade.” She says.