Chapter Twenty-Two

Robert parks in the apartment parking lot and I see Luke sitting there on the steps with something in his hand. “What is he doing here? I thought he was in Vegas.” Robert says opening my door. I shrug my shoulders and walk past Luke without a glance.

            “Could we please talk Brittany?” Luke asks walking behind me.

            “No, we cannot talk Luke. I’m so sick of people using me. You hurt me, and I don’t want to talk to you.” I yell shoving him away from me.

            “You really think I would ever kiss that bitch? You should know I would never do that, especially with her, what makes you think I kissed her? She came onto me and you know it. I would never try to hurt you.”

            “Doesn’t make it hurt any less. You kissed her back. You were kissing another girl when I need you the most.”

            “I didn’t kiss her back, I swear to God I didn’t. She wouldn’t leave me until you came. I tried to get away, I really did.” He says grabbing onto my shoulders. “You have to believe me Brittany. Please.” He begs. I collapse onto the floor grabbing my stomach letting everything out. I throw up again and when I’m done, Luke picks me up leading me into the apartment. He places me on the couch and walks out to clean up my puke. A few minutes later, he walks in and sits down next to me.

            “I feel so dirty. You were supposed to be there to stop him before things got out of hand.” I say through my tears. “I believe you didn’t kiss her, but where were you when Brian found me?”

            “You told your father, and he stopped me from going anywhere near you, but when he finally left me I came as soon as I can. Trust me, I would always try to protect you and when I saw Brian going in there I knew exactly what he planning, but your father refused to let me go no matter how much I begged.” He picks me up and places me on his lap.

            “Please, put me down.” I beg. He places me back on the couch but we still talk for a little bit.

            “I don’t know what to tell you.” I whisper looking him in the eye so that he could believe every word I am saying. “I believe you didn’t kiss her, but honestly, I really don’t think we are ready to get married, I’m only 18 Luke.” I say crossing my leg over the other. “I could barely take care of myself, what makes you think I could take care of a house, and a family. I don’t want to end up like my mother.”

            “You will never be like your mother. No matter how much you try, you are too much of a sweetheart.” He says taking my face into his palm. I just shake my head. “Yes, you are. You’re too nice for your own good.”

            “I’m not nice. I’m anything but nice.” Luke just shakes his head and leans his forehead on mine and kissing my nose.

            “Brittany, you are nice don’t think otherwise. And I love you, and only you.” He whispers his forehead still pressed again mine. His lips lightly touch mine, and I jerk away. He looks at me guiltily.

            “You really should go Luke. I’m so sorry.” I run away from him and lock myself into Robert’s bathroom.

            “Brittany, can we please just talk about this.” Luke yells pounding on the bathroom door.

            I open the door and look at Luke. “It hurts so much.” I say as I sob. “I really can’t take this anymore.”

            “I know you can’t, that’s why I’m here for you.” He says walking into the bathroom. He wraps me into a hug and I squeeze him. “I’m always going to be right here with you. I’m never going to leave you.” He whispers rubbing my back.