Chapter Twenty

I wake up the next day and am surprised to see that my father is talking to my uncle in the kitchen. I know this because my father is yelling and I hear my so called uncle calming him down. I don’t want to show myself so I hide in the corner of the wall and over hear their conversation. “Why would you treat my daughter like that? You were like a brother to me with or without my ex-wife. You were my friend even before her. How could you betray me like this?” My father yells at him.

            “What are you talking about?” My uncle says. “Betray? I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

            “You know exactly what I’m talking about. All those times I left Brittany with you, you treat like she’s nothing. Your daughters were supposed to be her friends, not the evil step-sisters.” My father says angrily.

            “Is that what she told you? I’m sorry Joe, but I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He says denying everything. I let a tear slip from my eye and walk into the kitchen. “Brittany, could you please explain how I never treated you badly when you were younger.” My uncle says.

            “If I were to do that I’d be lying to all of us.” I say wiping at my eye to get rid of the tear. “I don’t see why you hate me so much, so do us both a favor and just leave. I don’t even know why you bothered showing your face.”

            “What did I ever do to you that were so bad?” He asks confused.

            “You really don’t remember do you?” I ask. He shakes his head and I smile at him. “I’m going to say this once. Every time I was over you’d be drunk off your ass. That’s probably why you don’t remember anything.” I say before walking away. “Oh, and daddy, I’m going to hang out with Luke at the hotel. I’ll see you there?” I ask walking up to him giving him a kiss.

            “Yeah, I’ll be there in a few hours, I just have a meeting to attend to.” He says kissing my forehead. Love you sweetie.”

            “Love you too.” I say before running back upstairs to get ready. I end up just putting on my black floral jumper shorts. I wear my pink five inch wedges. I put my hair in a side braid and I do my makeup before putting my silver ‘love’ necklace ending the outfit with the engagement ring. I run down yelling a bye on my way out. Just as I slam the door shut Luke meets me at the drive way. I get into the passenger seat and kiss him.

            “You look beautiful.” He tells me pulling the car into reverse. “Are you feeling any better?”

            “Yeah, much better actually, I told my father and he was just talking to my uncle.” I say and he looks at me confused.

            “What did your uncle do?”

            “Nothing now, but a long time ago before my mother left us. But now that he’s back I wanted to tell my father.”

            “Tell your father what?” He says and it hits me that I was too upset to tell him anything yesterday.

            “When I was a kid, he used to treat me like crap when he watched me. His daughters were mean to me. I haven’t seen him since before my mom left and now he just shows up. It just brought back those memories and I’m not ready to relive them. But hopefully I don’t have to see him again.” I say.

            “Isn’t he your dad’s friend?” Luke asks.

            “Yeah, this is why I don’t care if they see each other and talk. I just don’t want to be near him, or his kids. I just want to avoid him. Which is why I called you, he was over.” I explain. He just smiles at me and takes my hand just as we reach the parking lot. He pulls into the employee parking lot and I jump out the car excited to start the day. Luke walks around the car and takes me by the waist before making his way into the hotel. He goes behind the desk to get started and I kiss him. “I’ll be outside swimming.” I say grabbing my very own towel from the shelf underneath the desk. “Meet me outside during your break.” I say before rushing off to the back door.