Chapter 2: I don't need you

Tao's POV

I finished up my shifts around 11 and headed home. I entered our apartment to find my mom sleeping on the couch. I gently shook her awake and helped her up. I let her lean on me.

"Tao baby, your back."
I smiled, "Yea mom. What are you doing out here. You should sleep in your bed."

"I tried waiting for you, but I'm just so tired."

"Shh it's okay mom. I'll tell you the good news tomorrow."

I laid her down on her bed and tucked her in. I kissed her goodnight and headed to my room. I sighed before pulling off my shirt and tossing it in the hamper. I pulled my jeans off as well and threw on a pair of loose joggers before falling backwards on my bed.I laid there thinking for a while. Is this all worth it?
If my mom would be healthy then I would do anything. I sighed and rolled over and closed my eyes.
I was drifting off before my eyes snapped open, "Homework!"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

At school:
"Wow look at this well rested princess."
I groaned as I slid into my seat, "Shut up Sehun."

Suho looked at me worryingly, "What happened to you?"

I rested my head on my desk, "My shift ends at 11 and I forgot I had homework."

Kyungsoo rubbed my back comfortingly, "You can sleep. I'll wake you up when class starts."

I sighed and started drifting off.

"TAAAAAOOOOOOOO."

I jumped awake and stood up, causing my chair to fall backwards, "What, what I'm alive."

Chanyeol raced towards me, "Taaaaaoooo. Baeky is sick."

I sighed before sitting down again. I banged my head against the table, "What do you want me to do."
"Distract the teacher so I can slip out."

I groaned but stood up, "You owe me, you annoying yoda."
Chanyeol pulled at his ear and winked, "She's here go!"

He pushed me towards the front of the classroom.

"Uh...Mrs.Jeong. I have a question."
She nodded.

I spun her around towards the chalk board and picked up a piece of chalk. I started writing random numbers until I formed an equation.
"I was challenged to solve this but I'm stuck. Can you help me?"

Mrs. Jeong's face lit up as she grabbed another piece of chalk and started solving the problem.
From the corner of my eye I could see Chanyeol marking himself here on her attendance sheet before slowly backing out of the classroom.

15 minutes later she finally stopped, "Therefore X equals the sqaure root of 754 plus 28 all divided by 18."
My head was spinning because of all the numbers and half the class was asleep.
"Thank you Mrs. Jeong, and oh by the way. You already did attendance for the day."
I added when I saw her heading for her book.

"Oh I must of forgotten, thank you Zitao."

I walked back to my seat and collapsed. "Chanyeol owes me....big time."

Sehun stifled a laugh, "God damn your like a ninja. It's official, your my partner in crime."

Suho nudged Sehun playfully, "What about Luhaaaaan?"

Sehun rolled his eyes.

After school:

Subin asked me to meet her at her coffee shop. She said she was going to bring her son. It was an understatement to say I was nervous. I was sweating buckets and my legs were kind of wobbling.
My mom's wellbeing rested on this one first impression and this one guy who I don't even know. I raced him to try to change into neater clothes.
I wore white jeans and black sweater with a panda face on it. I laced up a pair of combat boots and brushed my hair with my fingers before rushing out again.
I walked quickly to the coffee shop and slowed when I got close to the door.
I took a deep breath before walking in slowly.

"Ah! Tao. Come here!"
I turned my head to find Subin sitting with a very very attractive man with blondish orangish hair. I walked towards the table and almost tripped.

Smooth Tao.

Subin smiled, "Kris...this is Zitao. He's the personal assistant I was telling you about."

Kris looked me up and down and held my gaze for a few seconds. I gulped and looked away, forcing myself not to blush.

"I don't need him."

I didn't know 4 words could hurt that much. Yea, I just met this guy but there's something about him that I couldn't ignore.

"Kris please. Do this for me...do it for you dad."

Kris stiffened at the mention of his father but nodded, "Fine. But he does what I tell to do. He does it when I want it, where I want it and how I want it."

A shiver went down my back at his words.
Subin smiled, "Great! Now. You sir are going to school."

Kris broke his cold gaze and me and whined, "But moooooom."

Subin stood up, "Nope. You young man are going to school. And Tao's going to be there right next to you."

Kris rolled his eyes, "Fine. Tao come on. I have some work at the office and I want you to come."

"B-but my shifts..." I stuttered.

Kris stood up, "It's fine. You can quit your job, now let's go!"

I nodded and walked out with him.

Kris pulled out his phone, "Now listen to me carefully and I'm only going to tell you once. I have this stupid ass meeting today but I need to clean up my office and deliver some papers. I want you to clean my office and the bottom most cabinet has a bunch of folders with names and room numbers. I need you to deliver those folders and go grab me dinner. The meeting is 5 hours long so you have enough time."

Kris rattled on while we got in his limo and headed to his office.

Silence suffocated the air as we rode in silence. I sat looking down and played with my fingers. I felt someone watching me so I looked up. Kris had stopped shuffling his papers and he was watching me. I looked down again in embarrassment, my cheeks slowly turning pink. I heard him chuckle lowly before he went back to what he was doing.

After 15 long silent minutes we finally pulled up to his office building. He got out and so did I. I followed him without saying a word. The secretary was touching up on her makeup. She quickly put away all her stuff when she saw us walking up to her. I mentally rolled my eyes, what a fake.

"Sooyoung, this is my personal assistant, give him full access to the building."

I can feel her disgusted look aimed towards me.
"Are you sure you want him sir? There are better people, like me."

Kris frowned, "I don't have time for this, now give him the god damn pass."

She rolled her eyes but held out a badge. "Come back in an hour to get your official I.D...look here."

I barely had time to smile before she took a picture of me. Kris started walking again and I speed walked to catch up. He got in the elevator and turned to me when it closed.

"Tao...I don't know who you are or why my mom thinks you were perfect for the job. I'm only putting up for this because I owe my mom. But let me remind you, I don't need you."