Chapter 22: Misunderstanding

“Excuse me, your majesty,” a high male voice called.

            Turning, the girl smiled at the tiny boy. “It’s Tania.”

            “My name’s Peyton. Peyton Hayford. It’s an honour to meet you,” he told her, giving a slight bow.

            “Uh, likewise. What can I do for you Peyton?” She answered, not much caring for the bow but knowing saying something wouldn’t change anything. Alex watched with interest from beside her.

            “I’d like to enter your service,” The brown-haired boy said rather bluntly.

            “My what?” Tania asked, not sure what the he was asking. Alex began laughing beside her.

            “I want to enter your service. Like them,” Peyton replied, indicating the Black Tip pack.

            “I’m sorry I don’t understand. If you want to join the pack you’d have to talk to Jason. He’s the alpha male.”

            Alex calmed himself long enough to explain “He wants to be your bodyguard.”

            Tania’s eyes widened and she turned back to face Peyton. “Oh. Oh. I’m sorry but I don’t have bodyguards or anything like that so I can’t help you.”

            Peyton frowned. “But you have the Queen’s Wolves and the Knights.”

            “The what and the what?”

            “When he says the Queen’s Wolves, he means us Tania,” Jason called. “It’s a nickname we’ve been given.”

            Tania made a face. “That’s just silly. I’m a member of the pack, not the leader.”

            Jason shrugged. “We don’t mind. Besides, you are alpha female.”

            Rolling her eyes, Tania faced Peyton. “Ok so the pack’s called the Queen’s Wolves but who are the Knights?”

            The boy looked surprised. “They’re the six people closest to you.”

            “The six…oh this is ridiculous,” Tania muttered.

            Alex actually looked pleased. “I like it.”

            Eclipse jerked his head up and complained “Seven. It should be seven. You can’t forget about me.”

            “You’re my special companion,” Tania told the cat, scratching his head.

            The black feline smirked. “That’s better. I’m above the Knights. You need to work harder, disciple.”

            “Stupid cat,” Alex replied grinning. “She’s just saying that so your feelings won’t be hurt.”

            Tania jabbed Alex with her elbow without looking while saying “I’m sorry Peyton. I don’t know who came up with these silly names for my friends but I really don’t have bodyguards or anything of that type.”

            “Maybe you should,” Alex mused aloud.

            “Alexander!” Tania spat as she whipped about to face him.

            “No I’m serious,” He replied before turning to Peyton. “I take it you’ve decided to come here next year?” When the boy nodded he continued. “Then it might be a good idea to make him the first.”