Chapter 24: End

“Are you both comfortable?”

            As if that isn’t the most cliché and villainy thing to say, Tania thought, already disgusted with Kale. She looked across to where Alex stood, each arm being held by one of the bodyguards while two more were posted at the only door to the room. Tania was also being held but by one vampire not two. Before being shoved into the huge house they’d been searched and their weapons removed. Like we had any left, Tania thought wryly. Currently they were in a large room, walls panelled in mahogany, just like the door and furniture. Large windows were hidden behind the blood red velvet curtains, the same shade as the rich carpet beneath their feet. Lounging on a red velvet couch, Tania sensed a theme, looking very much at his ease, was Kale.

            “Kale have you lost what little sanity you possessed? Tania’s not a vampire. You can’t hold her here!” Alex snarled, chin lifted in a challenge as his eyes blazed with fury.

            Leaping lightly to his feet, Kale ambled over to Alex. Smiling up into his face, he replied “Oh, I can.”

            Alex lunged forward. Or attempted to, but was drawn up short by the two large vampires holding onto him. Hissing, Alex glared at Kale, eyes already glowing red. “I’m going to kill you.”

            Not good. This is exactly what he wants, Tania thought. “Alexander, calm down. Getting angry’s not going to help.”

            Meeting her hazel eyes, Alex realized she was right and took several deep breaths, closing his eyes as he did so. It helped when he couldn’t see Kale or Tania being restrained.

            His eyes suddenly a deep red Tania had never seen Alex’s turn; Kale whipped about and thrust his face close to hers. “You shut your goddamn mouth you little whore!” He screeched at her.

            Alex snapped his eyes open, any calm he had regained was now thrown to the winds. “You stay the fuck away from her, or so help me, I’ll shred you!”

            “Not helping, Alexander! He’s deliberately provoking you again.”

            With great difficulty, Alex reigned in his temper.

            Kale suddenly calmed and returned to his couch. “Since we all seem to be hot and bothered, how about a drink? I can have fresh blood brought up.”

            “No thank you,” Alex replied tersely, eyes still faintly red.

            Not sure if the offer applied to her as well, Tania remained silent. The last thing she wanted to do was cause Kale to have another fit. I set Kale off, I set Alexander off.

            “Well then, why don’t we begin our little discussion then? You two have been very naughty, killing all those vampires.”

            “We were attacked first,” Alex replied evenly.

            “They were under the orders of the council. You’ve been breaking an awful lot of laws.”

            Tania continued to say nothing. He’ll tolerate anything from Alexander but if I say something there’s a good chance he’ll flip. I just need to try and keep Alexander calm and he might be able to talk his way out of this, she thought, watching the exchange carefully.

            “And so have you.”

            Kale smiled. “But in my case it wasn’t breaking. It was bending them for extenuating circumstances.”