Chapter 2: Anger

“What? Did he follow you home again?” Chloe asked as an incensed Tania thumped down into her seat at their end of the long table.

            “I don’t want to talk about it.” She muttered, glaring down at her tray. The bagel, yogurt and orange juice just sat there innocently despite Tania’s wish that she could make them, and more importantly, a certain person burst into flame with a look.

            Sarah fluffed her ash-blonde hair with one hand as she gave Tania a disgusted look. “If an attractive boy wants to hang around, you should feel happy and flattered. This grudge of yours is unhealthy and isn’t going to help you get a boyfriend.”

            “One, I don’t want a boyfriend. Two, Alexander is a cocky creep and so completely unattractive. Three, I don’t need some boy following me about to be happy,” Tania retorted.

            Rolling her eyes, Sarah replied “I didn’t say you need a boy to feel happy. I just said having one showing an interest in you should make you happy. It’s nice to know you’re attractive to the opposite sex.”

            “I somehow doubt he’s attracted to me. Quite frankly I think the only reason he follows me about is because he thinks it’s funny to piss me off.”

            Sarah opened her mouth to reply when there was a loud crash as someone dropped their tray and broke the glasses that had been on it. Applause rippled through the cafeteria, halting all conversation temporarily, as the guilty party flushed and helped clean up.

            Madison used the quiet that followed to change the subject. “Sarah have you started that French sheet we’re supposed to translate? I’m having trouble with the second paragraph.”

            Blinking twice, Sarah smiled at Madison. “Yeah. I’ll show it to you after we get back.”

            “Jill when’s that audition again? I need to practice.” Chloe asked.

            “Wednesday at eight.”

            “Madison, you’re my hero.” Tania whispered.

            Smiling, the girl shook her head, her tawny braid swaying back and forth with her head. “It’s nothing.”

            Tania laughed. “No it’s not. You’re awesome. So whose room should we take over today?”

            Overhearing her question, the other girls answered as well, sparking a debate amongst them as whether to invade Madison’s or Chloe’s room.

            Laughing with the rest of her friends as they made their way through the quad towards the Sportsplex, Tania couldn’t help but notice the sun setting behind the elegant red brick school buildings in front and to the sides of them, blazing oranges, red and pinks making the sky glow beautifully and making the grass and trees look just that much better. They were most of the way across the quad when a shadow fell across their path followed by a tall figure clothed in black jeans and a thin cerulean sweater. “Good evening, Tania. Good evening, ladies.” Alex said with his usual charming smile.

            Tania resisted her first thought which was to tell him to go do something anatomically impossible with a great effort and said tightly “Hello Alexander. What do you want?”

            Smile widening, Alex replied “Do I need to want something to simply say hello?”

            “No,” Tania answered through gritted teeth.