Uncharmed

Trapped by the press of bodies all around her Tania was helpless. Which is why when she was struck from behind she was unable to do anything but flail wildly. Catching someone’s shoulder, she was able to keep from falling flat on her face in front of the rest of the people crowding into the living room. Taking a deep breath she looked down, embarrassed, and saw, with mounting horror that the contents of her now empty cup were splashed across the shirt of the boy whose shoulder she had grabbed.

            “Oh my god! I am so sorry,” Tania apologized profusely as she righted herself before her hazel eyes met a set of very black ones.

            The boy in question raised one elegant brow quizzically then smiled down at her, making Tania redden and look away. She had to admit he was quite good-looking, his high cheekbones and sharp chin giving him an almost fey appearance. Feeling a tug on her hand she looked down and found the boy towing her gently through the crowd with an ease that startled Tania, who’d been struggling through this selfsame crush no more than a few moments before.

            When they finally came to a stop they were standing along the wall of the room that had been cleared out of all furniture except the table, speakers and laptop needed by the DJ. This was the area of the house designated as the dance floor. Again Tania felt the gentle tug on her hand but this time she held back, shaking her head.

            “I don’t dance,” She called over the noise that was a combination of loud music, shouted conversations and laughter.

            The boy’s smile widened and he leaned in from in front of her to whisper into her ear, deep brown hair falling forward to partially screen his face, “You do now.”

            Startled by the smooth richness of this stranger’s voice as well as the fact that his voice hadn’t been drowned out by the roar of the crowd, Tania didn’t realize she’d been towed out onto the dance floor until the boy was behind her and forcing her to gently sway to the music with him.

            Flushing hotly, Tania could count on one hand the number of times she’d danced with a guy, she was relieved that he kept his arms and hands around her waist. The last guy she’d danced with had had wandering fingers and the memory was not a pleasant one for either of them, Tania was sure. Self-consciously, she glanced about the room and was further embarrassed to see several people staring at them, causing Tania to lock her gaze on the ground, unable to take the feeling of those eyes on her.

            As the song came to an end, the boy released her and leaned down to whisper once more in her ear, “Now we’re even,” before melting into the crowd with ease. Tania couldn’t do anything but stand there and stare after him for a long moment. She only moved when she heard the sound of her name being called.

            “Tania! Oh my God! I can’t believe it!” Sarah gushed as she grabbed Tania’s arm and dragged her to the corner of the room. “I can’t believe you just danced with Alex Donovan!”

            “Who’s Alex Donovan?” Tania asked face and tone both filled with confusion.

            “You don’t know who Alex Donovan is? You just danced with him and you don’t know who he is?” Sarah asked, incredulity clear in both her voice and the look she gave her.

            Tania shrugged. “So who is he?”

            Sarah rolled her eyes. “God don’t you pay any attention to what goes on around here? Alex is like the most popular guy in the whole school. He’s also one of the hottest.  Everyone knows who he is- except you, apparently.”