Chapter 20: Point

Tania sank down into the soft brown couch with a sigh of contentment, Ilana right behind her. “I say screw the boys, let’s do something quiet today,” Tania said, lying her head back and closing her eyes. “I’m far too sore to ski again today.”

            “Don’t remind me,” Ilana moaned. “I had no idea skiing was so much work. I think my legs are going to fall off.”

            “Good. You can stay here and pet me,” Eclipse mewed from where he was curled up in front of the woodstove.

            “Oh it’s not that bad,” Alex told them as he walked into the main room, completely ignoring the cat.

            Sitting up, Tania glared at him. “Three days. We’ve been skiing every day, all day for three days. This is Ilana’s first time skiing and it’s been four years since my last trip so of course we’re both tired.”

            Alex held his arms up as if to ward off her words. “Alright, alright. We could rent a movie and stay in today.”

            “Only if one of you boys goes and gets it,” Ilana replied, flapping one arm lazily in his direction.

            “Deal.”

            “Good. Then I don’t have to move until tomorrow night,” Tania said, flopping back into the couch.

            “You should go take a bath. It’ll help relax your muscles,” The vampire suggested.

            “Too much effort to get there,” The girl answered without opening her eyes.

            Face alight with mischief, Alex padded over to the couch both girls were currently relaxing on and in a single swift movement scooped Tania up. “There you go. Now you don’t have to walk,” He told her as he turned towards the bathroom.

            “Put me down this instant Alexander!” Tania cried, flailing her legs.

            “Now I thought your legs were sore,” Alex replied, grinning. “You should just stay quiet and…”

            Whatever else Alex had been about to say was cut off by Theron bursting into the room. “We’ve got company. Thirty vamps. Here in ten. Get your weapons.”

            Before Tania could even process the information, Alex had let her go and sprinted into his and Theron’s room. Bredon came running out of the room he and Kayne shared, buckling a sword and belt around his waist as he went. Theron began pacing rapidly in front of the main door as Alex re-entered, wearing, like Bredon, a sword belt. “Aiden’s dealing with the back door from outside,” Theron reported.

            Alex nodded sharply once as Kayne came out of the room he was sharing with the elemental, wearing not a sword like the vampires but a myriad of knives, four of which were already hovering above his head. “So are we trying not to kill them again?” The psychic asked.

            The brown-haired vampire snorted. “They had their warning. At the very least they know to expect no mercy from me.”
            Kayne grinned in a manner that made Tania repress a shudder. She’d had no idea he could look that blood-thirsty. “Good. That’ll make things more fun.”

            “And people call us evil,” Bredon murmured.

            “I’m helping,” A low growl came from behind everyone. They all turned to stare at the large black panther that was standing by the kitchen door, green eyes bright and claws already out.