Chapter 7: Encounter

Sitting on one of the couches in Alex and Theron’s apartment the next day, Tania rubbed her eyes tiredly, the dark rings under them a testament to last night’s adventure.

            “Here,” Alex said handing Tania a flyer.

            “What this?” She asked, staring at the orange paper which was advertising a Halloween party.

            “If you and your friends haven’t already decided which party to go to that’s the one we’re all going to. It’s a costume party so it’ll be fun.”

            “I don’t know. I’d have to talk to everyone and I really don’t have a costume, so…”

            Alex grinned and turned around. “Hey Ilana, did you hear that? Tania doesn’t have a costume.”

            Ilana popped out of the kitchen, eyes alight. “Are you serious? Tania you have to let me dress you!”

            “I, well if I don’t find anything while we’re out today,” She replied.

            “Speaking of going out, we’d better leave or we’ll miss the bus,” Ilana said, grabbing her purse off the counter and heading to the door, Tania following suit.

            “I’ll come by later to get my stuff,” She told Alex.

            “Don’t worry about it. I’ll drop it off later.”

            “Thanks Alexander. For everything,” Tania said. After the police had finished questioning them and Tania went back to her room she found out that the door was broken and wouldn’t shut properly anymore. Alex had offered her the use of their pull-out couch and Tania had accepted gratefully. The idea of sleeping in a room with a door that didn’t close, let alone lock, scared her more then she was willing to admit.

            The vampire grinned. “Oh no thank you. I’m going to be very obvious about dropping your stuff off. I can’t wait to see the reactions.”

            “Wait. No! Don’t drop my stuff off. I’ll come pick it up after!” Tania cried, already imagining the rumours that were going to start if Alex dropped her overnight bag off.

            “You can’t stop me,” He taunted.

            Tania was about to go over and grab her bag when Ilana grabbed her arm and tugged. “Come on. It’s almost eleven.”

            Glaring at Alex, Tania said “I’ll get my revenge.”

            Alex’s laughter followed them as they left the apartment.

            Tania endured her friends’ fretting during their wait for the bus but got them to stop once they actually boarded the vehicle. When she mentioned the invite all of her friends agreed without hesitation and their shopping trip took on new importance as they looked for costumes.

            Every costume Tania picked out was vetoed by one or more of her friends until finally she just gave up. “Do you really have something I can wear Ilana?”

            The dryad grinned. “You bet. You have to let me do your hair and make-up too. Come over beforehand and I’ll get you ready before we head out.”

            “I…ok. What’re you going as?”

            Ilana’s smile widened. “Guess.”