Chapter 19: Question

A delicate perfume tugged at Tania’s nose as she slowly swam towards wakefulness. Opening her eyes and sitting up, Tania gasped when she caught sight of her room. All around her room were purple and blue vases holding pink, white and red lilies, her favourite flower. Opening and closing her mouth several times as she stared at the plant-life that had taken over her room, Tania stood up when a knock came at her door.

            “Hey did you spill perfume or something cause… Holy shit! Where’d all the flowers come from?” Nyssa asked as she opened the door.

            “I don’t know. They were here when I woke up,” Tania replied, still a little dazed.

            “Is there a note?” Her neighbour asked, craning around Tania to look, her curiosity aroused.

            “I haven’t checked yet.”

            “You should. Anyway I’ve got to run to class. I’ll see you later.”

            Tania nodded absently before turning around and shutting the door. Kneeling down beside the nearest vase, she felt among the long green stems for a note. Surprisingly, she found one. Pulling it out, she read ‘From your secret admirer’. What the…? Who would do this? And more importantly, how did they get into my room? Tania wondered, a little nervous.  After several minutes of futile puzzling, Tania got dressed and headed to the cafeteria for breakfast.

            “What’s the matter?” Chloe asked as Tania sat down. “You look a little weirded out.”

            “That might have something to do with the fact that my room is currently full of lilies,” Tania replied as she stabbed her French toast.

            “Really? How’d that happen?” Jill inquired.
            “That’s what I want to know. They were there when I woke up and my door was locked when I went to bed last night. It’s kind of creepy.”

            Sarah frowned as she idly ran her finger around the rim of her glass. “Depends on who sent them.”

            “No it doesn’t. I don’t like the idea of anyone except one of my friends getting into my room while I’m asleep.”

            “So what’re you going to do?” Madison wanted to know.

            “Nothing. The only thing the notes with the flowers said was ‘From you secret admirer’ so I have no idea who sent them.”
            “Well if anything weird happens…” Chloe said.

            “Yes, yes. I’ll tell you guys.”

            “Tell them what?” Alex asked, sliding in beside Tania.

            “If anything else weird happens today.”

            “Anything else?” The vampire raised one quizzical eyebrow.

            “My room is filled with lilies and I have no idea who sent them.”

            “Really? That is weird. Then again it’s Valentine’s Day.”

            “Yah well I have no idea what I’m going to do with them all.”
            “Why don’t you give them to the other girls in you rez.  And your friends of course,” Alex suggested.

            Tania thought about it for a moment and then grinned. “Good idea. Thanks.”

            Alex smiled back, eyes bright. “Don’t mention it.”