Chapter 6: Breakdown

Despite what Alex had told her, Tania had a hard time believing he’d recruited that many people until the next morning. She’d only just shut the faux wood door to her room when the girl beside her, who Tania had only seen a handful of times before this, popped her head out of her room.

            “Going to the caf? Wait a sec will you? I’ll come too,” she said before her head disappeared.

            Tania just stood there, staring at the closed wood door. This can’t be because of Alexander, she thought in shock. Maybe she’s just trying to be friendly…? Please tell me this isn’t because of Alexander!

            In no more then two minutes, the girl reappeared, smiling. “Alright. Let’s go.”

            “I’m sorry but I forgot your name,” Tania said.

            The girl laughed. “That’s alright. We’ve seen each other like what? Six times prior to this? I’m Nyssa. And you’re of course Tania Davies.”

            Tania winced. “I’d ask you how you remembered but I have a feeling I know the answer to that.”

            Nyssa laughed again. “Yeah I got recruited by Alex. Me, Natalie, Genevieve and Jenna were standing outside and he just came up, asked us if we lived here and when we said we did, he asked us if we knew the girl who lived in room one-sixteen. I said I lived in one-eighteen and that I sort of knew you. So he asked us if we could make sure you didn’t go anywhere by yourself cause some crazy girl is trying to kill you. Is there really someone trying to kill you?” The girl said all of this very fast and Tania had to pay careful attention to catch it all.

            “I don’t think kill me is the correct term for it. She just wants to get rid of me,” Tania replied sighing.

            “Still that’s got to suck. I mean you actually have someone who wants you dead. Well whatever. We’ll make sure she doesn’t get a chance. As a bonus I’ll be able to put on my job application ‘has worked as a bodyguard’. Bet most employers don’t see that one too often.”

            Tania had to laugh. “I’m sure they don’t,” she said as the pair entered the cafeteria.

            Waving to one another, the two separated, Tania heading to her table and Nyssa to where her own friends sat. Alex and his friends were already there and Tania sat down into the chair between Alex and Madison that had obviously been left empty for her. “Just so we’re very clear on this Alexander, I want you to know that I hate you.”

            Alex laughed. “I see you’ve already met some of my recruits.”

            “How many people in my building do you have doing this? Nyssa told me about at least three besides herself.”

            “I don’t know exact numbers. I’m guessing somewhere around twenty, probably nearer thirty,” Alex told her, unable to keep from grinning. He loved to make Tania squawk.

            And squawk she did. “What? Thirty? Please tell me you’re kidding.”

            “Nope. People are getting really enthusiastic about this. I expect a lot more recruits by the end of the day. Now I want you to behave and stay with your friends today. No trying to slip off,” Alex said in a mock-lecture, shaking his finger at her.

            Tania rolled her eyes. “Yes mother.”

            The others laughed and normal conversation resumed. Tania couldn’t help but smile. It was nice to sit there surrounded by her friends, talking and laughing with them, knowing they cared about her.