54th Paper

54th Paper
Drian Xih Gutierrez

"Drian, baby, you have to sleep. You still have school tomorrow." Mom reminded.

Itinuloy ko lang ang pag gawa ng Science project ni Jesca para maipasa niya ito bukas. She's sick and I know teacher Anna is strict. She might scold Jesca if she did not pass this tomorrow.

"Five more minutes, mom."

Habang nagdidikit ako sa illustration board ay naramdaman ko ang pagpisil ni mom sa pisnge ko. Hindi ko iyon pinansin dahil kailangan kong matapos ang ginagawa ko.

"I'll help you, Son. What can I do?"

Ngumiti ako at sinabi kung paano ang gagawin. With the help of my mom, we finished the project in no time. I smiled when I saw the project. I'm sure Jesca will like this!

I was too excited to give the Science project to Jesca the next day. But I got even happier when I saw her face lit up because of what I have done. Tita Ciela was always busy with work that she didn't have the time to help Jesca with her homework but it was okay to her because she's smart, and pretty.

"Thank you." She smiled and kissed me on my cheek.

I was grinning the whole day up until I get home. I like Jesca! I really do. And seeing her happy like that had motivated me to become a better someone who could help her in all things. A good friend.

"Drian, Xih. I'm sorry but we have to transfer you to another school. Mas malapit kasi ang lilipatan nating house sa work ni Mommy and Daddy, okay?"

"NO! Mom, no! How about Nic? I can't leave her. She's my friend!"

"Jesca will be okay. Please, Xih. Stop crying na, baby."

I was only in kindergarten but I knew too well that I like Jesca. Apart from my brother, Jarvy, she's the only kid who's really close to me.

"You both can still play in our house or at theirs. Mommy promises to let you see her whenever you wanted."

And that pacified me. Jesca was my pacifier.

Mom never broke her promise. She lets me go to Jesca's even in unreasonable times. There was one time when I suddenly wanted to see Jesca in the middle of the night. I got scared because of what we talked about in the afternoon that day.

Hanggang mag grade four ay ganoon ang arrangement namin. We were growing up together and there was nothing more I could hope for. Our faces matures, our age increases, our attitude tweaks, but my liking towards her was still the same.

"Mom, transfer me to Jesca's school! Please po. You've returned to your old office, maybe you can bring me back to Jesca."

My mom just laughed and I knew that my life was gonna change after that. And it did. When I transferred to Jesca's school, I experienced culture shock. But then I was okay with it as long as I was with my friend.

"Nic, let's eat lunch together?" I excitedly asked.

Palingon lingon siya at hindi pa makasagot sa akin. When suddenly she saw someone, she hurried to get her lunch box.

"I'll eat today with Abby and my other friends. Maybe tomorrow."

I just smiled and let her get away. I was so sure I would be fine to eat by myself because I still had no other friends besides her. And because I still had no one, I took the table nearest to Jesca and her friends. I constantly looked at her while I ate, just so I wouldn't feel the how lone I was.

I was excited again the next day because Jesca's going to eat lunch with me. I even asked Mom to prepare for two. So when the bell rang for lunch I immediately looked for Jesca but I could not find her. Turns out she was already with her friends when I decided to look where they've eaten lunch yesterday.