XXII: That Night

XXII

     I opened the door, to Jayce's home and settled his drunken self in bed. I breathed deeply trying to keep myself from collapsing after that exhausting walk. My attention rapidly went to Jayce as I couldn't decide whether or not I should just leave or not. It's not like I wanted to stay but I just couldn't decide if I should wait till he gets sober and then leave or just leave right now.

     "Evelyn-- you--- there?" Jayce muttered my name under his breath.

     "Yeah, I'm here. Just remember you owe me." I sneakily added the last part knowing he was drunk, he would've agreed. It was amusing knowing Jayce was so vulnerable for once.

     "I----" Jayce started to mutter something but I couldn't quite understand.

     "What?" I asked getting into curious mode.

     "Evelyn--- I" Jayce kept spinning his head looking more nauseous every second. My nuisance grew so I left to the kitchen grabbed a cloth and pressed it against his head. Maybe once he's sober, I can understand him. Why does this always happen to me? How come I got stuck sitting beside Jayce this late at night. I sighed as I recalled how this boy always intruded my life one way or another.

     Once I thought he was slowly starting to sober I put away the cloth and tried to make him fall asleep, so I could leave ASAP!

     "Evelyn...” Jayce spoke my name in the sweetest voice, as he grabbed my hand. He turned his head and tried to open his eyes but with his head still wavering right and left, I knew he still was a little drunk.

     "What is it?" I said in a calm and sweet voice that I was even surprised. It's true that love can change you. I used to be stubborn and in this situation I would be really annoyed with Jayce but I still couldn't forget my feelings. I waited for his reply in silence

     "I....” I was on the edge of my seat waiting for those final words. “Forget it," Jayce rolled over on the other side of the bed, as I sat back down in disappointment. At least finish your sentence, making me all curious for nothing. No matter how annoyed I was, I knew he was drunk, so I let it go.

     "Turn back this way. You're still drunk." I turned his head, as I placed the cloth back on his forehead. "Go to sleep, you'll be sober by tomorrow. Don't forget you owe me. I left Adrian because of you." I removed the cloth and started to prepare to leave.

     "Adrian, Adrian, Adrian... what is it about him that you talk to him so much?" Jayce lifted himself and placed his back against the bed. "He's a jerk!" Jayce said as his head was still spinning.

     "No, he's not. He's actually pretty nice. Nicer then you were to me. You know what; I'm not going to talk about another guy to you, especially when you're drunk." I packed everything and began to leave his room but then a hand grasped mine.

     "Don't leave, please." I heard a teary voice and turned to see tears coming from Jayce. Am I seeing things right? Jayce is crying? But, why? Out of shock I decided to not do anything to hurt him as he looked like he was at a fragile state. I sat back down beside him, telling him in a sweet voice,

     "Are you okay? Why are you crying?" I placed my other hand and wiped away his tears.

     "You don't like Adrian, right?" Jayce asked me a question, I never even thought about nor did I have an answer to. I don’t know, do I? No, I don't love him, I know I don't. It's not easy moving on from your first love and I loved Jayce. Why is he asking me this question, which never even accrued to me?

     "Why?"

     "Just tell me do you or do you not love Adrian?" Is this about love now? Jayce looked so fragile and I knew I had to cooperate, so I told him what he wanted to hear.