twenty

Niall woke up pretty early, laying there against Harry until he awoke as well. Their silence was comfortable, just simply gazing into each others' eyes. "Did you 'ear everyt'ing I said when I came yesterday?" Niall broke the long silence as Harry shook his head in response.

Taking a deep breath, Niall sat up, eyes already watering. "Well, I quit my job, I have an interview tomorrow and I'm sorry for being selfish and lying t-to ya, b-because I despise lying so much and the only reason I could muster was that I didn't want ta' love you and I wanted ta' stay single because it wouldn't be complicated and I'm so selfish, I'm sorry..." Niall felt tears sting his burning cheeks, Harry's eyes watching as he took the information in.

Niall didn't expect Harry to do what he did, eyes wide for a few moments before they slipped shut. Harry had kissed him. Hard, blissful, loving kiss. Niall held his face, another tear sliding down his cheek. Harry's thumb wiped the tears away, pulling back and pressing their foreheads together.

"You're realizing that you did and you're making yourself suffer. Don't do that, Ni. You don't deserve to make yourself cry and hurt. I'm just helplessly in love and I ignored the little signs that told me it wasn't going to happen. I held it off for a while because I wanted to wait for the perfect moment, I thought it'd happen. I'm sorry I ruined Christmas. As well as New Years." Harry whispered, pecking Niall's nose. "Right now, I honestly don't feel anything. I'm numb. I let them in, I didn't let them push me around, I didn't give them the satisfaction of hurting me."

The blonde shook his head, covering his face. "I'm so fuckin' sorry!" he sobbed, pulling Harry into a hug. "I'll make you feel okay, I'll help!" he whispered, crying hard into Harry's neck. The brunette shook his head, rubbing Niall's back and shushing him.

"We both know I have to do this alone. I can't depend on you to fix me. I have to fix myself, Niall." he whispered, kissing his cheek. "I love you. I just need to fix myself before we take anything further." And Niall nodded, agreeing with the statement.

"I wish I said something different. I wish I told you I had ta' t'ink." he murmured, sniffling. Harry pressed his finger to his lips, shaking his head. "Stop. Don't do this. I love you." he repeated, Niall nodding and whispering them weakly back. "I'll stop saying it out loud, but I'm probably going to cry for a while longer." he warned, sniffling and wiping his eyes. Harry sighed. He just wanted to find his happiness again. Niall wanted to see Harry smile again.

The pair stood up, grabbing clothes and dressing in separate rooms, before meeting downstairs for breakfast. They were quiet, distant and the air was as fragile as their emotions. Well, Niall's emotions. He hated the fact that there was so much tension, he hated the fact that he knew it wouldn't change for a while.

Niall grabbed eggs and bread, deciding on making french toast. While this happened, Harry was thinking. He was going to have to call Aldi's and get his position back and figure out the mess called his life. At the moment, Harry felt like his life could be worse. Niall could've left him there. He could have AIDS. He could be dead. But Niall didn't leave him there, he doesn't have AIDS and he's alive.

As the plate of food is set in front of him, Harry looks up at Niall. He finds that he damn near instantly loosened up, the tenseness of his shoulders fading. It was an automatic reflex, he was always a softy around Niall, so his moods always seemed to fade to a content mood. Niall always has had an effect on Harry this way. Sometimes it was a blessing, sometimes it was a curse. As if that wasn't obvious already.

Niall sat across from Harry, staring right back with his beautiful ocean blue eyes. And then, Harry smiled. It looked like an actual smile, yet, he knew there was a broken boy behind the mask, so he couldn't tell exactly what it was. Well, he knew that it made him blush wildly, looking down at his feet. "I might go apply at Aldi's with you." Niall whispered shyly, chewing his food and taking a drink.

The brunette licked his lips, nodding. "That'd be kinda cool -- actually. We could drive to work together." Harry attempted through the thick awkward sexual tension, eyes shifting from the wall to Niall and back again. The blonde nods back, smiling small. It felt like they were getting somewhere.

To Niall, that meant so much.

Harry cleaned the aftermath of breakfast up, sighing as Niall chatted on the phone. "Yes, of course, I'll be in as soon as possible. T'ank you." Niall hung up, smiling. Harry cocked a brow, turning to the smaller as if asking a question. Niall bounced, swaying. "I got the job at Aldi's. Guess, I'll have ta' tell the other place I'm no' interested anymore. I'll be able ta' start working tomorrow. T'ey asked if you were okay, and if you'd like t'e job back. They'd see you tomorrow if you wanted ta'."

Harry nodded, smiling a bit. He was getting back on track, it seemed. Slowly, but surely. "I'd love to." he nodded, drying his hands as the dishwasher started up. Niall bounced, eyes tinted with hope. All Harry saw was a happy blonde; a blonde who made his tummy feel funny and his heart hurt. Harry walked into the living room with Niall, plopping on the couch and sighing. Niall sat at the other side, turning the television on.

The pair didn't say much after that, watching Family Guy in peace. That was, until a soft knock had their eyes glued to the door. Niall stood up, opening the door. "Oh! Hello, Liam!" he said, opening the door and letting Liam and a shorter male inside. Harry sat up, smiling.

"Hello! This is my husband, Louis. Funny story, We just moved in next door. We came to greet our neighbors, so this is great! We don't have to have any awkward encounters." Liam laughed, arm wrapping around Louis' waist. Harry walked over, smiling. "That's great, actually!" Niall nods, shaking Louis' hand as they spoke.

The brunette just stood awkwardly, hands in his pockets and eyes glued to the ground. Niall felt his distance, grabbing his hand as he and Louis spoke. He pulled Harry's arm and placed it on his waist, the other arm following suit. Harry smiled softly as he placed his head on Niall's shoulder. He even felt Niall blush against him.

"If you need any help with anything, we can help, gladly." Harry murmured, voice soft and deep, surprise written on all three faces. "I think we'll be okay."Liam nods, kissing Louis' head. "We should get going though. It'll be dark soon and we need to get fresh sheets on our mattress so we can sleep tonight." Louis chimed, looking to Liam and tugging his hand. "It was nice meeting you, hope we can do something soon!" he smiled, Liam waving as Niall walked over, shutting the door behind them. "Bye!" he smiled, shutting it fully and sighing.

Harry's hands were returned to his pockets when Niall walked away, chewing his lip. "They're really nice. I like them." he whispered, looking up to Niall. He nodded, walking closer and sighing happily.

"I missed you, Harry." he whispered, arms wrapping around his abdomen. Harry hugged Niall back, chin on his head.

"I missed you more, Niall."

thINGS ARE LOOKIN UP FOR MY BABIES

LILO IS THEIR NEIGHBORS OMG HAPPY DANCE

only three chapters left :/

edited