Chapter 27

Dick's POV
Babs has to be psychic. There is no freaking way that she predicted this otherwise.
When we woke up, we found Alfred and a helicopter outside the cabin.
"Alfred? What are you doing here?" I asked, still in pyjama's.
"Master Richard, I suggest you 'suit up'."
"Huh? What?" Babs says, stumbling out, rubbing her eyes. "What did I miss?"
"Master Richard, there is an impending threat to the globe. A power calling itself 'The WarWorld' has returned to Earth, only this time, stopping all super-powers. Alien, Meta-gene, you name it. Master Bruce believes it best if you and Miss Gordon lead this mission to take down the WarWorld, as you are among some of the most experienced with no powers."
"Wait, wait, wait." Babs says, shaking her head. "You're saying Savage is back, and trying to hold Earth for ransom again, and there are no superpowers? What about the League?"
"You will be fighting alongside the league."
"You know this how?" I ask. Alfred grins.
"Master Dick, I have lived with a master Bruce for his entire life. I know a few of his tricks." I sigh.
"C'mon Babs. Guess our holiday's cancelled."

Babs's POV
We've been sent to the Antarctic to investigate a lone droid. Or at least, what we think is alone.
When we get close enough to get readings on the droid, it's too late to save Artemis. I detected the same energy that was used in the drones in the failure training. And Artemis was disintegrated before our eyes.
Wally falls to his knees inside the bat-jet. The bio-ship is useless now. Dick grabbed my hand. I could tell he was thinking a million things. Finally, he kneeled in front of me.
"Um, Batgirl, I've known you my whole life, and I don't even know if my life will still be there tomorrow, but if I am-if we are- alive, will you do me the honours of being my wife?" I stare at him stunned. He has a ring and everything. It's an aquamarine. My favourite stone. I can tell everyone else in the ship is shocked too.
"What?" I squeak.
"Will you...um...marry me?" Dick repeats. It takes me a moment to process everything. Was he going to ask in Romania? Or has Artemis's death just made him ask sooner?
"Yes." I whisper. "Yes. Yes! YES!" Everyone breaks into applause, because we know that Artemis would be grinning her face off right now. "Ok, people. Let's do this shiz!"

[Batgirl, status?] Dick asks telepathically. I've been given the task to deactivate the drones, providing an easier entrance.
[Neutral. SuperGirl and I are on our way, undisturbed.] I answer.
[You do mean you're on your way, turbed, don't you?]
[Yes I do, Nut-Wing.] I say, blowing him a mental kiss, which is responded with several eww, and gross.
[So Batgirl, we're about fifty metres from the control room.] Supergirl says.

I sit down at the thankfully, not too heavily guarded room. Surprisingly, even without her powers, Linda is still very strong.
"Ok, just keep this room secure for about ten minutes and I should have them down." I say, tapping madly onto the keyboard. I would have it done sooner, but I have to translate it all to English.

"How much longer, Batgirl?" Linda yells.
"One minute! Literally one minute!" I reply, finishing the code. Suddenly, the drones all fall to the floor.
[NightWing, the path is clear.] I grin.
[Great work, Batgirl. Get out and rest.]
[Have you met me, former boy wonder? I'm helping you take down Savage!]
"Oh are you now?" I voice growls from behind me. How did he hear the mental connection? And more importantly, who is 'he'?
[Miss M, someone's in the link! NightWing-] I'm cut off by a huge fist slamming into my chest. Supergirl's unconscious on the wall. I throw a batarang, but Savage simply pulls it out, not even wincing.
"I see Batman was wise enough to send his minions to do the grunt work." I kick Vandal in the stomach.
"I'm not his minion!" I scream. Vandal slams me against the wall, and I can feel three runs break, and I feel short of breath.
"What do you know? Half the size, and apparently, half the strength too." I collapse on the floor, switching in and out of consciousness.
[NightWing! Supergirl and I have been compromised! Finish the mission, then help us!] I command.
[No! Batgirl! Stay with us! I'll be right there!]
[Focus on...the mission.] I repeat. [I know what I signed up for when I became a bat. Fight for good. Even if it means the cost of my own life.] I say.
[No! Babs! We need you! I need you!] Dick yells. The rest of the line is silent.
[No names...in the field...remember?] I say weakly. [I love you, Dick. Te iubesc.] I whisper, before blacking out.