Chapter 24

Flashback
Info: Babs and Dick are both 14, and it's the Valentine's Dance...Babs is Batgirl, and Dick is a few months away from becoming NightWing.

"So, who're you asking to the dance?" Barbara asked, sitting across from Dick, working on their algebra homework.
"Dunno. Although, a ton of girls have already asked me." Dick replied. Babs sighed jealously.
"Always modest."
"So who are you going with?" Dick asked. If anyone had asked her, he'd be filled with jealousy.
"No one's asked me. My dad would've run about five hundred background checks on them before he even let them come to my house, let alone take me to a dance." Dick was relieved. Now was his chance.
"Do you...want to..." Suddenly he lost all his courage. "Share answers ft question number 5?" Babs read his face, then smirked. God, she knew him better than anyone.
"Sure. 43. Is there anything else you want to ask me?" She asked.
"Yes, actually..." How could he fight global threats, but not ask a girl out. "Would you...like to...go to...the...Valentine's Dance?" He squeaked. Nice move, Grayson. He thought.
"Mr. Grayson..." Babs started, keeping a straight face. Oh, no she's going to say no, and she won't even be my friend! "Yes!" She cried, throwing her arms around him, then quickly pulled away, blushing.

Dick was picking up Babs. Or rather, Alfred was going to take them. Dick fastened his tie, and walked to the door with Alfred.

Babs was fastening her dress. She had used her allowance to get her hair styled professionally. Then she spent about two hours on YouTube perfecting her makeup. There was a knock on her door.
"Barb, Richard is waiting downstairs-are you wearing makeup?" Her father said.
"Yes I am. Ok, bye Dad!" She said quickly, kissing him on the cheek, and walking out.

In front of Barbara was someone unrecognisable from the skinny, nerdy boy she had a crush on. Dick's hair was combed loosely, and he was wearing a black Armani suit, since the dress code was formal.

Barbara was wearing a black, floor length dress, that hugged her like a second skin. It had a black lace back to her waist, and black lace sleeves. Her nails were painted black, and she had a small smoky eye and plum lipstick. Her black heels were about two inches high, and they had a ombré of silver rhinestones. Her red hair was piled in a halo braid around her head.
"Hi." She said quietly. "You look nice."
"You look amazing Babs!" Dick blushed. From the black limo, Alfred smiled a small, warm smile. Richard Grayson had come a long way from the depressed nine-year-old Bruce had adopted.
"Thanks." She took his arm playfully. "Shall we?" She grinned, as Dick led her to the car.

"Wow! This place is so fancy!" Gotham Academy had rented out a huge function room at the top of the Wayne Enterprises building.
"Yeah." Dick sighed. He couldn't stop looking at Barbara. She grabbed his arm, dragging him to a chocolate fountain.

At ten pm, Dick had an idea. He had fantasised the moment when he would work up the courage to kiss Barbara, and now seemed like a good time. They were leaning against a wall, laughing about the mushy couples on the floor.

Suddenly, Dick put his hand behind Barbara's head and gave her a quick kiss. She looked confused, before kissing him back.