Chapter 21

"Dick?" I ask quietly. "Dick?" I say, louder this time. I start shaking him.

Four hours earlier

"You will be doing a patrol of Gotham. Split into squads of four. Batgirl and NightWing, you have your own squad. There's a drug ring I want you to take down. Batman out." Bruce instructed on the holo-screen. There was a ping from Dick's wrist.
"Got the coordinates. Let's move."

"Ok, do we take em together or-"
"Together." Dick finishes. "Pattern 9. Maneuverer 3, 8, 9, 4, 10." I nod, then we both jump down from the roof, landing in the middle of the warehouse.

We may not have predicted the amount of people in here. We're over powered. Suddenly, a man comes running at Dick with a gun. There's a shot fired, and Dick falls in front of me. The thugs use this as an opportunity to run away.

"Dick?" I say quietly. "Dick?" I say, louder. I start shaking him. His eyes flutter open.
"Babs?" He ask. I hug him. Then feel a wet patch on his stomach. Getting larger.
"No names in the field." I whisper, laying his head in my lap.
"Oh c'mon Babs, we both know I'm not going to make it."
"Don't talk like that!" I hiss, although I'm starting to cry. I radio M'gann.
"M'gann! NightWing's been shot. Get the bio-ship here, now!"
"On our way."

"Babs, promise me you won't dwell on the past..." Dick whispers, wincing at his stomach. "Promisuine?"
"Promisuine." I respond in Romanian. "But you're not going to die."
"Will you sing me a song?"
"I have a terrible voice." I respond. I look down at him. "Fine. And in the very rare circumstance that you do pass away, this is going to be your eulogy." I whisper, stroking his forehead.
"Hey there now, where'd you go? You left me here, so unexpected." I take a deep breath. "You changed my life. I hope you know. Cause now I'm lost,
So unprotected." I put my arms around Dick and hug him, and he tries to hug me back as I continue. " In a blink of an eye. I never got to say goodbye.
"Like a shooting star. Flyin' across the room. So fast so far. You were gone too soon. You're part of me. And I'll never be the same here without you. You were gone too soon." I start to tap my fingers on his shoulders like a beat. "You were always there, and like shining light, on my darkest days, you were there to guide me.  Oh I miss you now. I wish you could see, just how much your memory, will always mean to me.
"In a blink of an eye, I never got to say goodbye." My voice gets quieter now.
"Like a shooting star, Flyin' across the room. So fast so far. You were gone too soon. You're part of me. And I'll never be The same here without you. You were gone too soon."
"Shine on! Shine on!
To a better place.
Shine on! Shine on!
Will never be the same.
"Like a shooting star
Flyin' across the room
So fast so far
You were gone too soon
You're part of me
And I'll never be
The same here without you
You were gone too soon."
My voice goes hoarse with tears, and Dick's face is covered with them.
"Shine on! Shine on!
You were gone too soon
Shine on! Shine on!
You were gone too soon
Shine on! Shine on!
You were gone too soon." I whisper, my voice barely audible. I press my lips to Dick's, not as his girlfriend. As his best friend.
"B-Babs. I-I'll tell T-Thomas and Martha B-Bruce is a g-great dad." He whispers. I take his face in my shaking hands, hand bring my face so close to his I can see his bloodshot eyes. I pull of his mask.
"You won't have to, Dick." I whisper.
"Tell Bruce, o-o-ok?" I nod, holding back tears. There's the sound of the bio-ship outside.
"You're going to be ok." I whisper.
"B-Babs, I've always l-loved you. I-I-I always w-will. Forever. Babs." Then he collapses in my arms. Logic takes over and I begin pressing in his chest.
"Batgirl! Get him in the ship, Now!" Kaldur yells. I grab Dick, and carry him into the ship, laying him on a table in the centre. He still has a pulse.
"C'mon dude. Not now! You're stealing my style!" Wally whispers, trying not to cry. I hug him, and Wally wraps his arms around me, and we sob into each other's shoulders. We were - are - Dick's best friends.

No one is allowed to see Dick in the hospital for twenty four hours. I spend that time sitting in the waiting room with Bruce, Tim, Jason, Wally, Cassandra, Stephanie, and Artemis. Everyone else will come when we can see him.

"You can come in now." The nurse says. I'm in the room before Wally. Dick is sitting up, and smiled weakly when he sees me. Despite the doctor's objections, I throw my arms around him, crying tears of happiness into his shoulder. He puts his hands on my head and kisses me, right in front of everyone. Both our faces are wet with tears, and in between kisses, we both cry and laugh at the same time.
"You're alive." I finally say.
"And feeling the tastrophie."
"Tastrophie?"
"I've been alone for twenty four hours. I had to find something to do." Doctor Leslie walks in with Bruce.

"Mr Grayson will remain in hospital for another week. If he is stable, he will be home on Saturday. But he will have to stop his night activities for a month, at least." She instructs us.

"Heh." Dick says, before pulling me into another kiss. "Te iubesc." He whispers. It means I love you in Romanian. Thank god only Bruce and I can understand it.
"Te iubesc." I reply, grinning.

So, the song I used is called 'Gone too soon'. I found it in a Wally West tribute. By the way, THIS IS NOT THE END! THERE IS STILL MUCH MORE TO WRITE! Anyway, if you guys like, I'll leave a chapter with some links to good young justice music videos in the future. This chapter was really fun and sad to write. I literally started crying. Anyway, thanks again for all the views, and stay whelmed!