Chapter 9

Dick's POV
I mess up everything. My parents. Bruce. Babs. And now Wally.
For once in my life, I was happy. I had a family, I had a great friend, and I had the girl of my dreams. But, like everything, it went away.
I could blame Zatanna for Babs. But I can only blame myself for Wally. For not stopping him, for not being more supportive.
There's a flash of red hair at my window. I think it's Babs. I open my window. It is her!
"Um, Babs? What're you-"
"No time!" She says hurriedly, grabbing my hand. Floating outside the door is SuperMan. SuperMan!
"What's going on?"
"Wally...Reach...Pit...Bruce...Revive." She mutters. There are bags under her eyes, and new, worse bruises.
"Huh?"
"Laz...Pit." Babs murmurs.
"English!" I yell. Usually I'd enjoy being flown around the world at super speed, but I need to know what's going on.
"Remember how you raised Bruce from the dead when he was killed, but the Lazarus Pit was destroyed."
"Yeah..."
"And how Wally's body was vaporised?"
"Babs!"
"Long story short, we recovered the body, uncovered the pit, and if Bruce and I are correct, Wally will be eating ice-cream again by tomorrow." I gasp. Wally? Alive? Does anyone stay dead in this world?
"Why?" I ask stupidly.
"Because Bruce and I love you and-" Clark looks down at us, and smiles. "Oh, God! Not like that! I mean...as partners! After the whole Zatanna thing, I don't know if I can love you like that..." I guess my face falls. "Oh, lighten up, Birdboy! At least I'm talking to you now!"
"Can't I at least be Birdman, now?"
"You had that opportunity when you stopped being Robin. But no, you had to be NightWing because it's all dark and sexy and whatever." Babs laughs, almost like she used to, although she winces whenever she exhales.
"So...you think NightWing's sexy?" I laugh. Her face turns the colour of her hair.
"What? No! I just said-"
"But it's just implied, isn't it?" I say, my hand on her cheek.
"We're here, lovebirds." Clark says, putting us on the ground. I catch Babs bridal style, before putting her down. Cass flies over angrily.
"Hey, NightWing! You think you can just break her heart and-"
"Relax, Cass. He's...ok." Babs says calmly. Trust Cass to defend her bestie. Bruce walks to the front of a hole I the ground.
"NightWing, everyone's already at the Pit. If you would like to come now..."

I lay Wally's body in the metal platform. Apparently, M'gann, Connor, Roy, and Artemis were all in the dark until now.
"The process should begin once his body is fully submerged." Diana yells. Every falls quiet. A hand brushes against mine. Without looking away from the bubbling pit, I know it's Babs. I grab it and squeeze, more for my sake than hers.
"We'll talk when this is over, K?" I whisper so only she can hear.
"K." I know Zatanna's here somewhere, she did know Wally, after all, but I don't care anymore. I'm about to keep talking, when there's a blinding flash of light, and the pool falls quiet. Rising out of the still water, adorned in red and yellow costume, is my best friend. Everyone is silent. Until Wally grins.
"Dude! Totally feeling the aster!" He yells excitedly, before almost falling over.
"Guess I'll have to be Impulse again." Bart says weakly. All I can do is stare and balance in Babs.
"What's wrong, NW? Bat got your tongue? And would someone please tell me I can't remember anything from the past month? Did Psimon do that thing again?" I start shaking, before Babs pushes me towards him.
"Wally, you were dead." I finally say.
"Huh. Guess that's why the last thing I remember is that Crysallis thing. I-mph." Wally is cut off my Artemis throwing her legs around him, and kissing the crap out them. Kaldur looks like he's going to protest, but Bruce holds up a hand.
"Let them have their fun. He's been dead for a month. I know personally that it sucks to be dead." Bruce smiles, a rare occurrence. This time, Babs looks at me, both hands in mine.
"You know, neither of us have been dead for months, but I think we should still have fun." She whispers.
"Then we'll talk about us?" I reply. He puts her hand on the back of my head, so all I can see are her beautiful green eyes, and black eyelashes.
"Then we will." I pull her closer than it's humanly possible. Her tongue sneaks into my mouth, but I instantly fight back, battling for dominance. She wins, and explored every inch of my mouth. I don't care that we're kissing so openly. We're not the only ones. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see almost everyone kissing. Is that...oh my god, even Bruce and Diana are kissing. I move my hand from Babs's waist to her thigh, tracing circles with my thumb. Her arms stay firmly wrapped around my neck, running fingers through my hair.
I would go so far as to say today is the best day of my life.

Babs's POV
I open Dick's door at the manor and sit on his bed cross legged, and he turns his desk chair around.
"I'm sorry for what happened with Zatanna. When she walked in on us I overreacted, then when I came to apologise, I saw you two and I-"
"I should be apologising, Babs. For too many things to list." He says quietly.
"No Dick, it's my fault!" I cry anxiously.
"It's my fault!" He declares, taking a step towards me.
"It's my-mmmph?" Dick hurriedly presses his lips against mine, before sitting back down. I can still taste mint and sweat from the kiss. 
"How did you get Wally's body?" He asks suddenly.
"Oh, yeah. Shit, you sure you don't want to be with him?" I ask.
"Nah. He's gotta spend time with his fan, and Artemis."
"Ok. Anyway, Cass, Kara, Lori and I infiltrated the Reach. We actually went into space! Basically, we shut it down permanently, and saved Rimbor! But we always found that they kept a kind of blue-print of every victim. We used some of their tech and unvaporized Wally. There were no Beetles, but some of their battle drones have hard bites." I say, pointing to a yellow and green bruise on my shoulder.
"Oh, Babs. That looks bad." He says.
"It's fine, Boy Blunder."
"I think I know how to make it better..."

Dick's POV
I push a strand of Babs's hair from hair face, before wrapping my hands around her head and waist and kissing her.

I lie with an arm protectively around her. And in that moment, I know that I have everything I need in life.