Chapter 4

Oh my god, I should've been on that mission! 

I sit on a plastic chair next to a hospital bed. Babs lies on it, eyes closed, hair splayed around her head like a crown. She looks so peaceful, a beginning of a smile on her lips. When Connor carried her into the watchtower with a sourer expression than usual, there was definitely something wrong. She sacrificed herself to save the team. Someone had to self-destruct a base in Bialya, and she volunteered to do it. She didn't get blown up, but Babs is in a coma. The doctors reckon we can either leave her in a coma for months, or even years, or unplug her and see what happened. You can guess which option Bruce chose. 

I take Babs's hand. 

"I'm sorry." I whisper. 

Orchids surrounded her coffin. I couldn't speak, couldn't tell anyone that her favourites were roses. He hands locked around a flower the colour of her hair. Artemis cried into Wally's arm. Meghan couldn't even look at her. Cass stood protectively near the coffin. Bruce had a hand on a crying Tim and Damian. Even he looked like he was going to burst into tears. A red headed girl in sunglasses just leant against a wall. Zatanna touched my shoulder. Bruce calls me to say a few words about her.

"Batgirl was my best friend. She was always there to pick me up when I fell. I wan't there for her. But just knowing she cared enough to become Batgirl, meant the world to me. In the blink of an eye, her life left her. I never got to say goodbye. Like a shooting star, flying across the room, so fast so far, she was gone too far. She was a part of me. I'll never been the same. Now I miss her. I wish she could see how much her memory meant to me." I say, trying not to collapse. Then I walk over to her grave, with the words:

You taught me that life is much too short,
and at anytime it could end.
But know that no matter where you are,
You'll always be my best friend. 

"NightWing?" She said softly. I push her hand off. If she had just given Babs a forcefield or something, none of this would've happened. 

"Stop it." I growl. Bruce walks over. 

"NightWing." 

"Stop it, all of you." I say standing up. "I'm done with you, Zatanna." I say angrily. "I'm done with the league, the team, the bats. Don't bother calling." I hiss, then shoot a grappling hook from my arm. I look down, watching Babs get smaller, smaller, and smaller.