Chapter 8

Dikc's POV

I sniff. For once, I know that the person that's died didn't fake their death. They couldn't have. I already researched every possibility. And Babs doesn't even bother to comfort me. She's busy with Artemis. Plus I don't think she would've anyway.

It's almost identical to Babs's funeral, except there's no storming off, and no yelling. Just silence harmonized with silent sobs. Zatanna doesn't bother to comfort me. Not after last time. I haven't spoken to her or Babs aside from mission briefings. As we all walk past Wally's coffin, I can't help but realise his hair is the same shade as Babs. I must have a thing for crime-fighting red heads.

"Goodbye, my friend." I whisper. I haven't spoken for two weeks. I didn't say a eulogy for him. I couldn't. I've been to too many fake funeral for there not to be even a spark of hope. But deep inside I know he's not faking it.

Bruce's POV

My son is a mess. Barbara messed him up. Zatanna messed him up. Wally messed him up. If the Lazarous pit that brought Jason, Damian, Kathy and I back hadn't been buried, we could use it. Sure, I know where it is. But even if we uncovered it, there's no telling if it would work.

Later

I woke from my usual nightmares, watching my family die. I walked down the hallway to Damian, Tim and Dick's room. Barbara hasn't been here since she and Dick had a falling out, and has been doing her own patrols, and Jason hasn't even tried to contact any of us after he came back from the dead. Tim and Damian are both asleep, but I can see Dick at his desk, sketching a picture of Wally, Barbara and him. That's when I decide I'm going to do everything to fix him.

Babs's POV

When Bruce approached me, asking for help to find and use the last Lazarous pit to bring back Wally, I didn't hesitate for a moment to agree. After punching him. Hey, what can I say?

Somehow, Bruce had located the pit, and Damian and Tim were already in England with Knight and Squire. Bruce had contacted all the bat family but Jason, and didn't want to get Dick's hopes up, so he didn't tell him. Bruce even wanted me to get some of my hero friends to help. Apparently, it was going to be a hard job. I brought all the heroes who weren't BFFs with Wally. Helena, Dinah, Lori, Kara, and Cassie, of course.

"Ok! So, how do we proceed, King Bats?" Charlie declared once we had gathered at an abandoned church after several zeta-tube trips, 3 car rides, 2 days of waiting for Kara to decide what to pack for her first trip out of the states (that wasn't into space. Can you believe that girl lives on two planets, and still hasn't been around the world? AND she has super-speed and flight!), and 1 ten-hour plane trip.

"Alpha, WonderGirl, Batgirl, Black Alice, SuperGirl. Beta, Me, WonderWoman, Black Canary. Delta, Robin, Misfit, Black Bat. Gamma, Spoiler, Huntress, Red-Robin, Flash." Bruce ordered.

"Alpha, Batgirl leads. You will track and complete the revival process. Beta, I'm in charge. We're uncovering the actual pit. Delta, I'm putting Misfit in charge. Once we have the path clear to the pit, you will be defences. Gamma, You're defences too. Move out!" I motion for my team to move to me.

"So, BG, what's the plan?" Lori asks. "You know, more in depth than trying to raise the dead." I sigh. Lori can be a smartass. But you gotta love her.

"So, while the JLA team is doing the physical stuff, we have to help them, AND actually determine whether the pit is still working."

"Please. That thing has been there for centuries. It'll still work." Cass says.

"There was a process on Krypton that was similar to this. It was destroyed by a chemical change in the atmosphere." Kara said factually. Cass sighs.

"Guys, can we focus?" Lori asks. "So, B, what's the plan?"

"We have to find Wally's body. He was vaporized, that's why he had a closed coffin. There was no point of the coffin, but apparently he wanted one in his will." I say.

"He had a will? What, did it say 'I, Wally West, give all my food to Artemis Crock'. " Lori asks insensitively. She sees the looks on Kara, Cass and my faces. She never knew Wally like us. Lori wasn't exactly a hero. She had powers, sure, but she only used them when she had too, and she didn't belong to any teams like us.

"So, I analysed the Crysallis energy. Apparently, it is possible to reverse the vaporisation of the body. But to do that, we have to find the Reach. I hacked into Blue Beetle's scarab, and I can locate their mothership. From there, we can reverse the process and get Wally's body." I say quickly, pointing to diagrams on my wrist.
"What about the Beetles? We know from past experience that it's next to impossible to beat them? Why not use Blue, Connor and the others?" Cass asks.
"The Reach would take every chance to reboot Blue's scarab. Connor doesn't know of this plan. And besides, there are no more beetles. The Reach left Earth a month ago. Even if they created more, which they could not have in this time, I could easily disable their scarabs." I hand out EMP grenades and anti-Reach tech. "So, BA, you're going to have to steal Blue Beetle's Power. I checked, it's ok. Can you do that, even though it's not a meta-gene?"
"On it." Lori's clothes ten to armour, and get a blue tinge. "He's not fighting it, so I can hold it for longer, but I'll just leave it off for now."
"What do we do?" Kara asks. I grin.
"We, ladies, are going to space."