Chapter Four - Something There

After changing back into my clothes and paying for the dress, we went to a grocery store as I was in charge of making dinner for Russell.

As I was pushing the cart and checking the list for the final ingredients I needed to make, my phone buzzed and my aunt began calling me.

"Who is it?" Russell asked curiously as I pointed to what I needed him to grab.

"Jane I'm going to be home late tonight. Looks like your uncle is going to get drinks with his friends...you get what I'm saying." My aunt mumbled and I smiled. She was probably sneaking her phone call in the office again. Typical.

"Cece I'm going to my friends house tonight because he's sick and alone. I'm making dinner and watching over him today so I'll be home no later than ten." I said a little white lie.

Again, it wasn't a total lie as I was cooking him dinner. And sick? He could be from that awful attitude.

Russell's eyes wouldn't stop looking at me which made me nervous. I don't understand why, but it did. Maybe it'll stop if I slap him? I glanced at him. Or he'll make me run laps again. God only knows what that beast is capable of.

"Be careful! I don't want you catching a cold. Be sure to make him that chicken soup I showed you last time. And above all, I'd like to meet him tomorrow." Cece said with a slight hint of authority towards the end.

"Huh? But he's-" I didn't get to finish my sentence without her interrupting.

"Using the excuse of him being sick, that's not a first for me. It's like you forget who I am Jane. I'm sure he's the guy I've heard you mention in your room the other day. Your boyfriend, correct? I'm expecting to meet him tomorrow. Later dork." She told me before hanging up. I couldn't believe it. She saw right through me!

"What's wrong Kitten?" Russell's tone didn't match his words. I stared at him with my uh-oh expression with my sadistic smile and blank, emotionless eyes.

"My aunt, she want's to meet you tomorrow." I said the words carefully as I prepared myself for his wrath. But it never came. Instead Russell shrugged his shoulders and grabbed the item off the top shelf for me.

  "It can't be helped. I'll just meet her tomorrow, but you owe me." He said to me with a smug look on his face.

I turned away and began pushing the cart towards the check out stations. Why am I feeling embarrassed?

I ignored my thoughts that were confusing me about Russell and how awful he is.

"It'll be twenty five dollars." The cashier said and I smiled. I swiped my card and grabbed the receipt.

"Let's go to your house." I said to Russell who rolled his eyes at me as I placed everything into my pink reusable bag I just bought. It saves me the work of having to haul a bunch of tiny bags.

  Russell and I walked side-by-side for about ten minutes until we were in his apartment complex. I wonder if I'll get to meet his family.

Going up the elevator, I made sure to pay extra attention to the floor in case I ever wanted to secretly attack him. For revenge of course.

The elevator stopped at the tenth floor and I was pushed aside by another man who was in the elevator with us.

  I stood, looking at him as he went with disbelief all over my face. Does he not have manners? Especially for a girl who is carrying groceries.