harder

The next morning I woke up and got off the couch quietly. During the night Jake would start to let out sharp yelps and I would go and tend to him. When I fixed the couch, so that if anyone were to come in they could sit, I went to go and see Jake. He was sleeping soundly and was even snoring a bit. He looks so peaceful when he's in deep slumber. I shut the door quietly so as not to wake him up and went to go and check up on Billy. When I went to enter his room I saw that he, too, was sound asleep.

I went to the kitchen and looked around. "I'm not very hungry, so I think I'll make some coffee." I said to myself and did as I said. I was sitting down in one of the chairs and was steadily sipping at my coffee when Billy rolled into the kitchen.

"Billy, I didn't hear you wake up," I said and winced at the dryness of my throat. It sounded like I've been crying for hours. "You want some coffee?" I offered.

"That'll be nice," he said rolling over to the table. I got up and made his coffee then gave it to him. "Thank you," he said and took a sip from it. "It must be hard for you with... you know," he pointed in the direction of Jake's room and I nodded.

"You gotta do what you gotta do," I murmured. "Morning," came a familiar voice that startled me. I looked up and saw Jake standing in the doorway. His right arm was in a sling, his right leg was in a brace, and his whole torso was wrapped in some kind of bandage. I winced and looked away when I saw him but tooka deep breath and looked back at him. "Jake, I didn't know you were up," I flinched again as I heard my voice speak. This time it sounded like I was going to cry.

"It's fine, I wanted to get up anyway," Jake shrugged.

"Carlisle said that you weren't supposed to get up. Go back to bed and I'll bring breakfast to you. What do you want?"

I'll just have cereal," he said and I nodded.

I went to him and grabbed his uninjured arm and put it over my shoulders. "I can carry myself back to bed," Jake mumbled.

"Yeah, but I don't want you to hurt yourself. So come on," I said and walked forward with him hobbling along beside me.

I carried him all the way to his room and set him down gently on the bed. I pushed his left shoulder down slightly so that he wouldn't try to get back up. When he was lying down I grabbed his legs and put them back on the bed. "I'm sorry," he murmured.

"About what?"

"About all of this, for you to have to suffer with me."

"I'm not suffering."

"That's why you flinched when you saw me. How everytime you saw me during the night you started to cry. I'm sorry about all of this and I'm sorry I broke my promise to you."

"What promise?"

"I told you to remind me to stay in a healthy shape so that I could kiss you more. I'm in a bad shape and I can't kiss you anymore," he reminded.

"But you did it for a noble cause," I said to him.

"Yeah saving Leah's dumb a-"

I gave him a stern look and he quickly dropped what he was going to say.

"I will go and get you some breakfast, so stay in bed and don't get out." I then left and went back to the kitchen to go and make his breakfast. When I finished his cereal I brought it back to his room and came back out to meet Billy in the kitchen.

"You hungry Billy?"

"Oh no I'm fine but you can help yourself to some food."

"I'm fine thanks. Oh I better call my boss and let him know I can't make it in for the rest of the week." I said once I saw the clock. "Won't you get fired?"