Chapter 27

Luke stood at the fence, waiting for Ashton to show up. It was beginning to sprinkle and Luke wasn't liking the looks of the cloudy sky. Ashton better show up this time, otherwise Luke was going to be so pissed that he would go to Ashton's and personally murder him. He was also the only one at school, so it felt like he was breaking the law by being there. Luckily, the police weren't driving by.

Luke kicked the little rock underneath his foot, his hands in his pockets. He couldn't believe that he was going to tell Ashton, this time being for real. As much as he'd like to think that he was mentally prepared, he knew that he wasn't. He was pretty sure that he would freeze as soon as Ashton looked at him with those mesmerizing hazel eyes. 

That's what Luke hated about having a crush on someone. If you fell hard, it was a chore to get enough balls to be able to talk to them like a normal human being and not sound like you were from a different country by speaking gibberish and not making any sense at all. Luke was actually pretty impressed with himself though, because he had fallen hard for Ashton, yet he could still speak to him as if he was still a friend.

But then he remembered that it happened the same way with Christa. He had a huge crush on her and talked to her like a friend, but then Alec came into the picture and virtually ruined everything. Luke had hated Alec so much that he started to treat Christa rude as well, as if he was mad at her. He was, but he didn't have to show it like he did. It actually got to a point where all Luke would do was be cold and literally yell at Christa for anything she said. 

Luke cringed at the memory of the very last time they spoke. She was talking to Michael about some plans to go to a pumpkin patch with Alec that weekend with her baby cousins and then carve them afterwards. Luke had felt so much jealousy and anger rushing through his body, that he didn't even know what he was doing until after he did it. She was telling Mikey how excited she was when Luke went in there and yelled at her. It ended with him telling her to get out of his life, so she did. A few months later, she ended up moving away. 

He hasn't talked to her since and Michael hasn't either, despite following and being friends with her on social media. Luke has always tried to think of an apology to her, but he's just too embarrassed to face her, even though he would be behind a screen. 

Luke didn't want what had happened with Christa to happen with Ashton, especially now that Calum's hanging around. The difference between Christa and Ashton, though, was that Luke was going to actually tell Ashton about his feelings for him, whereas Christa wasn't aware of those feelings that Luke used to have. If he would've said something, they might still be friends now. 

There was scuffling behind him and Luke quickly spun around, ready to deck someone. But he was greeted with the sweet face of Ashton. Luke let his guard drop and looked at him. "I'm surprised. You showed." 

"Luke, I'm serious about my phone dying and the conversation with my mum and aunt. I didn't know you wanted me to meet you there," Ashton said. 

"What was the conversation? I mean, no offense, but your mum isn't around all the time," Luke pointed out. 

"I was telling her that I was gay," he deadpanned. "Clare already knew and she was just being there to support me, which was much appreciated." 

"Did they accept you?" he asked, hoping that the answer was yes. 

"Yeah, they did. I actually told them about-" Ashton stopped himself.

Luke quirked his eyebrow, wanting to know the rest of what he was going to say. "Told them about what?" 

"I...it's nothing," Ashton scrambled. "Anyway, what did you want to tell me?" 

Luke took a deep breath and brought his eyes up to look at Ashton's questioning face. Luke's heart jumped as he saw how adorable he looked in the grey beanie that was on his head. It made him look even more huggable than he already did.