Chapter 29

Ashton and Luke decided to go to school together that Monday, not even caring that they were going to be seen together because as far as Ashton was concerned, he wasn't popular anymore and they weren't going to pick on Luke for trying to hang out with him. Ashton liked Luke; he wasn't going to make him feel like he didn't by running from him. They just weren't going to show any PDA yet because they were still trying to process things.

They were still getting comfortable with each other, so when Luke grabbed loosely onto Ashton's hand over the console, it was slightly awkward. For both of them for that matter because Luke had never had a significant other, so he didn't know what the hell he was doing, and Ashton was only used to holding hands with girls. It was going to take a bit of time to start getting used to, but that wasn't going to be a problem because they were both going to go through it together.

"So, this is weird," Luke blurted.

"What?" Ashton asked, figuring that he was referring to their hands entwined.

"I'm not driving to school," Luke answered.

"Oh. Well, I'm enjoying your company if it makes it less weird," Ashton replied, not sure of what else to say.

Luke chuckled. "Same to you."

"Maybe we could switch off like every other day or something?" Ashton suggested, his attempt at making conversation was seriously sucking ass.

"No, it doesn't matter. But if you want to, that's fine. We'll save each other's gas money," he said.

The two went quiet, an awkward silence filling the small car. Ashton didn't know what the hell was going on with him and why he got so awkward all of a sudden. He used to be smooth as hell and flirty and a professional when it came to this type of thing. But now he's a stuttering, awkward mess. It's like Luke brought this unknown side of him out.

They got to school, the parking lot starting to fill up. Ashton was relieved to see that his old 'friends' didn't decide to deprive him of his parking spot. It was just a parking spot, but it had been Ashton's ever since he got his own car and it was close to the school. It was perfect if it was raining and it was perfect to show off his beautiful car. He sounded like he was one of those assholes who loved his car more than his own mother.

Luke looked over at Ashton, his blue eyes twinkling. Ashton glanced down at their entwined hands, seeing that neither of them were ready to let go. It was actually rather adorable from an outsider's point of view.

"I guess it's time for us to split ways," Luke said solemnly.

"What do you mean?" Ashton wondered, furrowing his brow.

"If we don't want anyone to be suspicious or anything, we can't be seen together. They tease me for being a nerd and most recently, gay. If we're seen together, then you'll get teased around too," Luke told him.

"I don't give a shit if they tease me because as far as they know, we're both still straight. And don't listen to them. Just because we made out in a closet, doesn't mean it meant anything," Ashton said with a wink.

"Oh please. You were putty in my hands," Luke scoffed with a smile.

"If that's what helps you sleep at night, Hemmo," Ashton joked, not noticing Luke blushing at the nickname.

The two of them got out of the car and walked into the school together. A few people gave them weird glances, most were probably because they never saw Luke and Ashton together as friends like they were now. They only knew Ashton and Luke as enemies. It was refreshing that they watched as they shocked the shit out of people by just walking down the hallway.