Chapter 28

Luke was sitting in his room, alone and rewatching the first season of American Horror Story once again. It had been about five hours or so since he had met with Ashton and the two had confessed their feelings to each other. Luke was so happy that Ashton had felt the same way he did and he wanted to tell someone about his excitement, but there wasn't anyone he had to talk about it with. His mum didn't know about his sexuality, Michael wasn't his friend anymore, and he really didn't like Calum even if Ashton reassured him that there was nothing going on. Luke just couldn't get over that stint of hatred that quick. It would take a bit of time. 

With a sigh, Luke looked around his lonely room, his eyes landing on the picture of him and Michael at the Connor Franta meet and greet from a few months ago. Luke felt himself get a little sad because the boys in the picture were smiling and extremely happy, holding their meet and greet lanyards as if they were made out of gold. Luke missed those happy memories that he had with his best friend that he knew he wouldn't get back. He wouldn't get to make more of them unless he attempted to fix it. 

Taking a deep breath, Luke unlocked his phone and brought up Michael's contact, knowing that it would probably take more than an 'I'm sorry' to make everything okay again, but Luke knew that no matter how much work it would take, they were going to become friends again. There's no way that they could stay fighting like this forever. Luke knew that eventually, one of them would have to talk to one another. 

Luke picked at his nails as the phone rang. He was nervous, even though there was virtually nothing to be nervous about. He came to the conclusion that it was just because he hasn't properly spoken to Michael in a few weeks and the way they had left things wasn't necessarily on a good note. 

"What is it, Luke?" Michael answered, his voice tired. 

"I...I wanted to talk to you," Luke told him. 

"Why? To yell at me about hanging out with Ashton? Well, you'll be happy to know that I haven't hung out with him in a while," Michael said, sounding irritated with Luke. 

"I did want to talk to you about that, but I wanted to apologize," he started. He wanted to tell Michael about Ashton, but he didn't at the same time. "I didn't mean to yell at you like that. It...I don't know what got into me. It was childish and I shouldn't have done that."

There was silence on the other end of the phone, not for long, but it felt like hours to Luke. Michael sighed before responding. "I know. You've been acting weird for a while and I just figured that it was best to leave you alone. So I did. Figured you would come back when you calmed down and well, here we are."

Luke took a deep breath and a smile formed on his face. "I guess I just realized how much I missed you and how bored I was without you."

"I'll accept that," Michael laughed.

----

Luke was on his way in his old clunker of a car to pick up Michael. After they had finished talking on the phone, Ashton had called Luke, asking him if he wanted to hangout with him and Calum. Luke told him that Michael and he had made up and that's how Michael got invited over too. 

Michael had never met or heard of Calum before in his life, the first time hearing about him was when Ashton had told him about him. He figured the kid sounded nice enough, so he was willing to make room in his life for another friend. It's not like he had that many to start out with anyway. 

The ride to Ashton's was just like old times, as if they never stopped talking to each other. They playfully bickered over the radio, Youtubers, American Horror Story...and Michael's wish for bright red hair. Luke thought it was a bad idea, mainly because Michael was so new to dying his hair. But he knew that whatever he said wouldn't be able to stop Michael because he was so determined. Personally, Luke was terrified that he would look like Michael Clifford the Big Red Dog.