Slow Start

“Sasuke.” I poked the sleeping boy.  “Hey we have to meet the team to take the first part of the Chunin Exams.” I explained, tapping on his forehead.  Sasuke mumbled something incoherent and turned away from me, pulling the covers over his head.  I glanced at the alarm clock on the side of his bed, and sighed, “We’re already five minutes late.”

That got him springing out of bed and shoving me out of his room, swearing.  His door slammed and I stood outside of it in amusement, listening to the sounds of Sasuke rushing to get ready.  His feet pounded on the floor as he rushed from the connected bathroom to back into his room, to across his room to his dresser.  Drawers could be heard slamming in and out.  Until finally it all stopped and silence continued, Sasuke’s feet then walked towards the door.

He opened in up in a rage and glared at me, shirtless, “We don’t have to be there for another hour and a half.”

“Yes,” I answered, nodding.

“Then why did you tell me we were late!” He growled, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Because I decided that you’re making breakfast this morning.” I answered, causally and turned to walk away as Sasuke slammed his door shut.  I sauntered down the stairs and rummaged through the kitchen drawers to find something to eat.  I settled on cereal and opened the box, pouring it in the bowl.

I didn’t bother with milk or a spoon and just ate with my fingers.  Using one hand, I help up the book I was currently reading while with the other I picked at the cereal.  Sasuke’s feet could be heard coming down the stairs, sluggishly.  He stopped at the entrance of the kitchen and felt his eyes boring into my head.

“Hn.” I made the usual vocal noise to let him know I could feel his stare. 

“Eiko.” His voice shook a little.  I turned and titled my head at him, telling him he had my attention.  Sasuke’s hands were clenched into tight fists, turning white from lack of blood flow, while his eyes were closed, I could see a slight twitch in them still.  “Why are you eating cereal?”

“I’m hungry.” I answered, turning back to my book.

“I thought I was going to make breakfast, which is why you woke me up earlier than needed.”  Sasuke, stiffly walked into the kitchen and stood at his chair, on the opposite side of the table.

“I changed my mind.” I answered, simply, turning to the next page in my book.  Sasuke plopped into his chair with an irate air about him.  I pointedly did my best to ignore him and focus on my book.  But his stare made me feel as if I was under a microscope, in plain view and exposed.  With an exasperated sigh, I chucked one of the fruit shaped cereal pieces at him.

It flew through the air at a slight arch, and hit him on his headband-less forehead.  After its loss momentum, it fell to the table, innocently, like it hadn’t just been used as a weapon.  “Did you just throw cereal at me?!” The question was one of disbelief.

I looked at the mangled, purple, grape shaped piece on the table than back up at Sasuke.  Returning to my temporarily forgotten page, “Yes,” I replied, smoothly.

“Why?” He didn’t ask, he demanded.

“To get you to stop staring.” I replied, setting my book down with a huff, “But the plan seems to have backfired.”

“You think?” Sasuke scoffed.

“Yes, often.” I replied, a slight smirk on my face.

Sasuke sat back in his chair and crossed his arm, a childish stubbornness on his face, “I’m going to keep staring at you because you deserve it.”  His jaw was set and there was a fire in his eyes, something that I was all do glad to get rid of.