Chapter Six: Long Distance Friendship

I bolt up fast and fly to my bedroom. Why is Gale in my house…again? How does Gale and Grayson know each other? Who let Gale in? Thoughts filled my mind rapidly. Should I go down there, or just stay in my room. No, why would I stay here? I have to get Gale out of my house. Its like he’s obsessed with me.

I put on my pajamas and braid my wet hair. The braid isn’t long as it used to be, but its getting there. The sight of my braid put a small grin on my face. I walk out of my bedroom as quickly as possible. Peeta shows up in front of Jaz and Reece’s bedroom, closing the door slowly. My first intention is to not let Peeta downstairs. “Hey!” I say, greeting Peeta as if I haven’t seen him in ages. I grab him for a tight hug. “I saw the plan you and Grayson made. Pretty good so far.”

Peeta pulls out of the hug and shushes me. Then he points to the kids bedroom. “Oh. Sorry” I say, grabbing his hand and leading him into our room. “Thank you” Peeta says, standing in the doorway. “Are you going to bed?” I ask quickly. “Are you okay?” Peeta asks walking over me. “Did you have to much coffee or something? Your acting odd”. Peeta presses his hand over my forehead. “Or are you ill?”

“No no I’m fine. Great. I was just wondering if your going to bed” I say, smacking Peeta’s hand off my forehead. “Actually I thought I might look over the plan and figure out when to leave. We also need someone to watch Jaz and Reece. This is going to be hard-”

“Why not go to bed?” I say, cutting Peeta off. “You look wiped out. Come on”

I grab Peeta’s hand and sit him on the bed. “I need to look it ov-”

“No.” I say. “What you need is sleep”. I open up Peeta’s dresser and pull out a pair of his pajamas. “Change” I demand, throwing the pajamas at Peeta. It hits him right in the face. “I don’t wan-”

‘Change!” I roar, pointing at his pajamas. “Okay okay” Peeta says, holding up his hands in surrender. “I’ll change. But I’m not tired”

“So just rest” I say, running over to Peeta and pulling the sheets off the bed. I pat the bed and fluff his pillows, desperate for him to just agree with me. Peeta takes off his shirt, revealing his muscular body. He throws it in the hamper in our room. “I don’t want to rest” he says, pulling over a white pajama tank top. “I want to make sure everything is set.”

“You can do that tomorrow” I whine. “You know what? Why don’t you lay in bed and I get you the plans?”

“That’ll be fine I guess…” Peeta says, stripping off his jeans.

I fly out of my bedroom and down the stairs. Grayson and Gale are no where to be found. I sigh in confusion and run into the kitchen. There here. Grayson was pointing at the piece of paper filled with our mission. Gale leaned over the paper, nodding at what Grayson was saying. I bit my lip hard.

I made a fake cough to get there attention. Gale turns around first, smiling at me. “Nice braid” he says, laughing. “Thanks. Just in curiosity…and don’t take this in offense…but why are you here?” I ask. Grayson raises his eyebrows. “You two know each other?” he asks, pointing at the two of us. “You two know each other?” I repeat. All three of us look at one another in confusion. I shake my head as if awakening from a bad dream.

Peeta. The papers. I forgot. “I need those” I say, snatching the papers off the table. Before they can protest, I’m already half way up the stairs, ready to deliver the papers to Peeta. I stumble into my room, and hand the papers to Peeta. He thanks me and then I’m off, running back down the stairs.

“Question” Grayson says, pointing up one finger. “Why did you just take the papers? I was trying to explain-”

‘Explain? Explain the plan to Gale? Why?” I say, interrupting Grayson. Grayson gives me an odd look. “Like you said, the more fighters we have the better. Gale here is one of my very good friends.” Grayson says, patting Gale on the back. What the hell is this? Some kind of reunion day?

I look at Gale in confusion. “Well” Gale says, ready to explain. “You know how I got a good job in District two? Well I met Grayson at my job. We eventually became good friends.”

“Wait!” I say in aggravation. “You knew?”

“Knew what?” Gale asks.

“You knew the other Districts were getting tortured and you didn’t tell me earlier?”

“You didn’t want anything to do with me!” Gale says, looking taken back. “I would of told you if Peeta didn’t step in on our conversation like the ass he is”

This hit me like a punch in the face. Gale was getting tortured? By Paylor. But Paylor knows Gale! We all worked together. How could she do this to him?

I slapped my head hard, trying to re think this through. When Gale told me he was traveling the Districts, he meant by escaping Paylor. Holy Shit.

“We made a plan” Grayson says, taking a seat. “After a while, we both had enough of Paylor, so we made a plan. We decided to escape at night and find a way to get out of District two. It was a hard fight with the guards, but we did it. After that, we got separated by accident. We had no electronically devices on us to communicate with one another, so we just continued on. I thought Gale didn’t make it, but apparently he did.”

“I should of never chose to stay in District Two” Gale whispers, looking down at the floor. “I decided to come over to tell you about it, and when I rung your doorbell, Grayson answered.”

My jaw dropped. Grayson and Gale know each other. How ironic is it that they both made it and came to me? This is a unplanned reunion day.

“Okay.” I say, slightly in shock. “You’re adding Gale to the plan?”

“Yeah. We want revenge” Grayson says, putting a devilish smirk on his face.

“Where not going to the capitol for revenge! Where going to stop the torturing” I yell.

“Help, revenge. You can call it whatever the hell you want. All I know is that I’m going” Grayson says, doing some weird hand shake with Gale. I roll my eyes and walk over to Grayson. “So Gale’s involved?”

“You got it” Grayson says.

The sudden sound of foot steps make me jump. I turn around seeing Peeta holding the plans tightly in his hands. He looks at me angrily. “Hi” I say weakly. “Your not gonna like the sound of this…” I say.

I tell Peeta everything there is to know. He doesn’t exactly handle it the way I hoped but he eventually agrees. I promise Peeta that him and Gale don’t even have to talk to each other unless its necessary. I also tell Gale and Peeta that Johanna wants in. Peeta likes the idea but Gale is still debating on that. Its not like he even has a choice whether or not she comes. The only reason Gale probably doesn’t want to come is because she always flirts with him. I find it hilarious, but he just finds it uncomfortable.

Gale apparently lied about him having a house. He’s plain homeless. I really don’t want to, but I offer him to stay here if he wants to. Luckily, its only temporary. And the funny thing is, I wasn’t even going to offer. Peeta told me to.

After a while of talking some more about the plan, we decided to go to sleep. We only have one guest room (my mothers old room), and I already to Grayson he could sleep there, so Gale had to settle on the couch. Of course he was fine with it though. He says ‘as long as there’s a roof on top of my head and a cushion to sleep on’ he’s fine.

Me and Peeta walk to our room, exhausted. Its only a matter of time before we were up and running, going into the woods and travel to the capitol to face the president. The thought made me feel like my old self again.

I am Katniss Everdeen Mellark.

The Mockingjay.