Chapter Eleven: Falling Katniss'

"We have to go back" I mange to choke out. "Something's going on". 

"Go back?" Johanna spits out stubbornly. "That's a couple miles back. We have to keep going. By the time we get there, Paylor will have killed half the higher Districts population."  

"Too late" Gale murmurs to himself, turning away from the bloody mess. "I agree on Katniss with this.. We should go back". Grayson nods his head, agreeing with Gale. Peeta opens his mouth to say something, yet shuts it quickly. He then stays quiet, looking over at Johanna in a shifty position. 

"What do you think, Peeta?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows together. Peeta sighs deeply before speaking. "I'm going to have to agree with Johanna on this.. We can't keep stopping like this". 

My eyebrows automatically raise by his response. Already, this project is turning over into something bad. Since when does Peeta not care for the others in District 13? I shake my head once before pointing over at the pool of blood. "So you're telling me that you wan't me to ignore that?" 

"No, Katniss" Peeta says, waving his hands around. "We just have to keep moving. We should have been hitting the border of District 12 by now. Going back will only cost us time". 

"But what if Paylor is in thirteen right now?" I ask, now addressing everyone. "What if she flew over to thirteen and decided to create her mutant creatures there? If she is there, that will make this job much quicker." 

"It's a fifty/fifty chance..." Peeta says, leaning his elbow on a tree. He begins to rub his forehead, soon becoming deep in thought. I can't just walk around a puddle of ankle high blood. Has he forgotten why I'm doing this? To help people. Obviously, when there is blood on the floor, that indicates someone is in trouble. Walking around a pool of blood acting like it's a pool of water is just ridiculous. And Johanna? What's her deal? I wouldn't have suspected her to go against me either. I might just be taking this over the top.. No. What am I saying?

"This is mutants we're talking about. They probably took whoever this blood belongs too" I say, frowning deeply. 

"They would be already dead, Katniss" Peeta retorts while shaking his head from side to side. 

"We can't save every person" Johanna willingly adds. "Would you rather save a whole bunch of people or just a couple of people? If there dead, there dead. Time to move on". Johanna backs away from me and spins around before walking away. 

"Every person counts!" I spit through gritted teeth. "You wouldn't be saying that if it were you who were in danger". And with that, I also spin around - but in the opposite direction. I'm going back. I don't care if none of them follow.. It's not like they were being such a great help in the first place. From the distance you could hear Grayson and Peeta calling my name. They could call all they want. District thirteen is where I need to be. If it takes time, then fine. I can manage anything. 

Whatever the Capitol throws at me I'm ready to catch. 

                                                         -------------

Determination pulls me through for a while. The sky is now fully painted black, not allowing any stars to shine down to navigate me. I continue to walk straight, not fully sure of where I am. The Seam can't be that far away can it? We only walked for a couple of hours.. It has to be around. When Johanna left to continue on, nobody stopped her. When I left to go back, there were attempts to stop me but I refused. None of them even bothered to chase me. I guess they thought I would come back. Well they should know the dark woods doesn't scare me. It would have to take about eight mutants for me to be even the slightest bit scared. 

All four of them are probably hitting District Eleven by now - but what are they going to do without the MockingJay? Show up and look like idiots is my guess. This whole plan is ripping up our friendship and our love for one another.. And the best part is.. We haven't even started the whole journey. Not even a day and I turned back around. 

A small blue light catches my attention. As I move forward, the light grows larger. It is probably the Seam lights. Eager and filled with hope, I begin to jog closer to the light. Right.. Left.. my feet move faster and faster. I take my final step and suddenly fall... No.. The ground falls. An adrenaline rush hits me. I'm falling.. Plummeting... Down to what? No clue. 

The blue light that blasted hope in me is now forever gone. I fall deeper down into the pit. Rocks and pebbles plummet along with me as I speed down like a meteor. Gravity is taking me hostage. When I finally realize I could die any minute... That's when a cry for help hits me. I scream as loud as possible.. Yet gravity does not care. 

I land straight on my back with an oomph. My breath get's knocked away from me, feeling almost as if my body just scattered into a million pieces. My fingers curl into fists on the ground, trying desperately to lift myself up so I could breathe. What just happened?

I lay there for a couple of minutes but it feels like day. My body aches with agonizing pain from the drop. I should be dead. Am I dead? Where am I? I manage to lift my head a couple of inches off the floor to take a peek at my surroundings. Nothing but darkness surrounds me. The stale smell of dry soil causes me to cough. Pebbles and dirt surround my weak aching body. My eyes adjust to the never ending darkness as I try to make out what I am in. From a mere distance, a torch lit with a small flame burns quietly. This must be an underground tunnel. With my body still not able to move, I let out a painful moan. 

That was a mistake.