Chapter Twenty: For Prim

Making a dramatic exit didn't stop Peeta and Gale from fighting with the audience. It got so bad, Johanna jumped on stage and said some words I'd rather not repeat. Grayson almost got into a fist fight with a man who said I was still a fake. Peeta had to pull him away from getting psychically hurt. We already have an injured team member... Me. My ribs still ache and sting with extreme pain. I just have to live with it. Either way, we're traveling to the Captiol. Paylor needs to be finished along with her ridiculous ideas. 

After the 'almost fist fight', I stormed out of the crowd, taking my bow with me. Who cares if they didn't believe me? All I was trying to do was help. To give a warning. Yet everything spiraled into something completely different. When the riot was over, (and when Johanna was done screaming death threats), I was chased down by Peeta and Gale. It didn't take me long to travel back down to where the peaceful farms were. Before I even knew they were chasing me down, I took a seat on a stack of hay beside a broken fence. The whole scenery reminded me of District 12 from when I was a teenager. Every day I would wake up before the sun rose and sneak down to the woods where the fence separated us from the wild. And everyday I would meet up with Gale and hunt for something decent to eat. Either we got a load of game or came back with nothing but a couple of roots. It seemed as if it was centuries ago. Everything that was once normal was corrupted and torn apart... All because of the games. 

I twiddled my fingers around a thread of hay, my gaze glued onto my boots. Usually my emotions never showed... I would usually be the one to brush it off, get back up and fight. But everything those people said... It's as if all the work I had done was for nothing. I swear, I am the only sane one left in this country. Just to think that everything was fine. Nothing is ever fine. Not in this country, it isn't. No one remembered me. I was just another ordinary person. I had my five seconds of fame and now my hard work and effort has been thrown away. Why am I doing this for the people of Panem if they don't even care? They don't even have the decency to be respectful. The main reason I am choosing to move on is because of my kids. I don't want them living in a world where death and war is just another part of life. I don't want them to believe the way Paylor is treating us is correct. They deserve better lives. 

The sound of multiple footsteps pulled me out of thought, and not to my surprise, my team was behind me, beaming down at me with a wordless expressions. There was nothing to say. We had to keep moving. So I simply stood up and fixed my bow on my shoulder, avoiding any eye contact. The last thing I need is another emotional talk. I have enough of those as Peeta as my husband. Sometimes I'm the man in this relationship. 

"Come on. We need to hit District 9 by tomorrow" I mutter quietly, flinging my braid to the other side of my shoulder. I turn my back on all of them and begin to walk at a slow pace, biting down on my bottom lip nervously. There are a few exchanged whispers before they follow behind me, keeping quiet. Peeta paced up to me, walking side by side, his blue eyes locking a hard gaze in front of him. I'm not sure if he's mad... Or upset... Or I don't even know. So just to find out, I creep my hand next to his, grazing my finger tips over his rough ones before slipping my hand in his. "I'm sorry for storming off" I say loud enough for everybody behind me to here. Silence. "They brought me to a point where I just - " 

"It's alright" Peeta sighs, flashing a small smile. At least I think it's a smile. "We're done here. Just forget about it. Once they realize you're who you are, they'll owe some apologizes." He nods reassuringly as we paced through the outskirt of the town, avoiding the main part of the town itself. And soon enough, we were making our way into District Nine. After a while of walking, we settled near a woodsy part on the outskirt of District Ten. No one was hungry... except for Grayson, but he's always hungry so he doesn't exactly count. Right when we made a fire, Johanna was out cold along with Grayson and Peeta. I decide to let them rest. We had a long day. They deserve some sleeping in.