Chapter Nineteen: Arrow Head

Livestock. Everything from the farms to the bits of city wreaked with the smell of dead animals. I'd rather be back in the arena then stand the smell of rotting corpses. We entered District 10 early this morning - arriving before the sun rised. Johanna was oddly quiet instead of bickering or snapping sarcastic comments. Whatever happened last night between Grayson and her obviously stuck. Usually Grayson would be chatting along with Gale, but today he is standing side by side with Johanna. Even though they said not a word, it looks as if something went on. I wish I was there to tell the tale. Unfortunately, I was teaching two grown men how to fry fruit. You would think Peeta would be able to handle food since he practically grew up baking. Wrong. Not even Gale knew to peel the skin off before bringing the fruit to the fire. Luckily, I saved us from eating burned apples and saggy apricots. 

The sky is marked with murky purple pastel colors, the sun slowly rising to provide us light. District 10 is almost a replica of 11, except for the lack of crops and an increasing amount of farming land. Everything here seems to be good - there is civilization, healthy animals, wide open area's of land and most importantly, an extreme amount of ignorance. From what this place looks like, we can all easily tell that these people are oblivious to what is happening around the higher districts. It is our job to inform them, but since what happened last time, I'm having second thoughts on that. 

"So what's the plan here?" Peeta asks, nipping a bite into a juicy looking pear. I heaved a long sigh, my eyes scanning the farm land, wondering how we're going to spread the word. "I was hoping you had some idea's" I mutter hopelessly, swinging my braid around with my fingers. At the corner of my eyes, Peeta casts a small smirk and looks away from me in thought. "Well I'm sure everyone here know's who you are" he says, taking another bite. "All we have to do is gather people around... you know, a really big group. There we can explain and hopefully not get attacked by eyeless creeps." 

"And what about the 'Pilots'?" I ask, taking a glance over at him. 

"That's a risk we're going to have to take.." Peeta focus's his gaze on me, his blue eyes glimmering in the rising sunlight. "You're the leader here, Katniss. It's up to you... Besides, for all we know, those Pilots might not even be here." Grayson suddenly turned his head to look back at us, his eyebrows furrowed and curious. He swings back to Johanna, mutters something in her ear and walks away from her, moving to us. 

"Making a plan, hm?" Grayson questions, now striding beside me. 

"Somewhat" Peeta nods, finishing his pear and throwing the corpse on the floor. 

"We're brain basically brain storming here" I add in with a dry tone, wishing we could be over with this and head back home to Haymitch and our kids. Don't get me wrong, I want this whole thing to be fixed and finished, but I also wish I never left. "Let me hear some idea's". 

Peeta opens his mouth to speak, but I rudefully cut him off. "But first.." I begin, stopping Grayson in his tracks. "What happened last night between you and - " I nod my head over at Johanna " - you know who?" Peeta cracks a chuckle and stops with us as well, waiting for an answer. Grayson looks from me to Peeta with a playful scowl, shaking his head from side to side, emitting a light chuckle. "None of your business." 

"Oh it is too my business" I laugh, poking his chest. "Johanna is one of my good friends. I have the right to know." 

"Then ask her yourself" Grayson shrugs, flicking my finger off his upper body. "Now, back to more important  things... Let me hear your idea's." 

All three of us began walking again down the long path that stretched into the upcoming city. Peeta explained his idea, and Grayson instantly agreed. "We'll have to do it somewhere public" Grayson explains, fixing his belt that holds multiple knives and various weapons. "And if those Pilots come then we'll slice 'em up. Simple as that."