Chapter Nine: Confidence Is The Key

Authors Note:

              Hey fans! I know, I know.. I haven't uploaded in a long time. I finally decided to upload a chapter and will now upload often. I am truly sorry for leaving you guys hanging. Please comment, vote and fan. I would love to know what you guys think of my story. Reading it and then moving on doesn't help me create new ideas. In order for me to continue, I need your comments whether there good or bad! (: So please, take five seconds for an over view. I'd really appreciate it. So... Enough waiting. Read away!

                                                                                      - Samantha (@EternalFaith)

"Ready to go?" Gale asks while leaning against a large oak tree. His arms cross over his chest tightly as he eyes me curiously. I nod my head once, swinging my small red backpack over my shoulder. "All set" I say, moving over to him. Gale pushes himself off the tree to stand over me, his large muscular body towering over me. "Done saying your goodbyes?" I nod again, glancing over at Grayson and Peeta who talk quietly with one another from a far distance. "I said I was all set" I snap, my tone raging with annoyance. The last thing I need to be reminded of is how I might not come back. Leaving my kids behind is already hard enough, but knowing that I have a 50/50 chance in surving makes it even worse. Gale quirks a curious brow while giving me one of those 'concerned looks'. I just want to wipe that look off his face and smack him from cheek to cheek. Instead, I decide to keep my patience and maturity. I let out a small sigh while shaking my head. "Yes..I'm ready to go. What about you and everyone else?" I ask, adjusting my backpack on my shoulder.

Gale glances at Peeta and Grayson before shrugging a shoulder. "I've been ready" he says in a serious tone. "I don't know about them. They have been talking with one another like that for the past hour now".

Past hour? What could they be talking about for a straight hour? I move my gaze back over to them as they continue on with their deep conversation. For all I know, they could be plotting some way to 'get rid' of Gale. Of course I wouldn't mind or anything.. If I had to choose between traveling through all the Districts with Gale or taming a hungry mountain lion... I'd pick the lion. At least the lion wont give me 'the unconcerned concerned look'.

Without another word, I brush past Gale to meet with Peeta and Grayson. "Hey" I say casually, waving my hand. Peeta jumps, clutching his chest before taking a breath of relief. "Oh.. It's just you" he says, regaining his breath. Grayson nods his head in my direction as a greeting while Peeta quickly snatches something out of Graysons hand and into his pocket. "Ready to go?" Grayson asks, glancing from me to Peeta.

"Ready" I say, nodding my head.

"Ready" Peeta says, keeping one hand in his jean pocket.

"Ready!" Johanna yells from a distance. I look over deeper within the forest, noticing Johanna's hand waving back and fourth from a bush. Her head pops up from the plant, a wide grin spreading across her face. The sound of footsteps crunching against twigs and leaves come from behind me.

"Ready" Gale says, his breath tickling the back of my neck. With a quick snap of my head, I look over my shoulder. He stands directly behind me, a small smirk tugging at his lips.

"Good" I say while clapping my hands together. "We're finally all set".

"Time to whip some sense into that she-devil" Grayson adds with a snort.

I roll my eyes by his ridiculous comment. "Let's go" I say, moving in front of them. "If we're going to make it to The Capital in at least two weeks, we're going to need to move".

The sooner we get to Paylor, the better. Besides, we need all our strength if we're going to enter the Capitol. The mutants Grayson described sound way complex and advanced. We're also going to need to be unseen. Entering a city that doesn't sleep while being unnoticed will be a challenge.. Even for me. They could easily spot out the retired rebellion.. Or in this case the active Mocking Jay. Plus, the 'in love' couple me and Peeta were. Everyone still talks about that through out the districts. After all, the Hunger Games me and Peeta were involved in were one of the best..For the audience of course. For the rest of us, it was a living hell. If it weren't for Haymitch, I probably wouldn't be alive. He was the first person who believed in me. I had no confidence in myself before Haymitch came along. Yeah, I was handy when it came to a bow and arrow - I still am. But would a piece of pointy wood help me in the Hunger Games? The people I had to compete were were so advanced in fighting.. They trained for this. And me? I had zero training before I entered the Capitol.

Yet me and Peeta are the Victors and the others are in a dirt nap.

A cold chill rides down my back just by the thought. Even today I trudge the guilt of murdering the innocnet. It was never my intention to begin with. It was something that had to be done. I was forced. I should be grateful I'm alive and have a family, not guilty.

"Johanna!" Gale yells, jogging up to the bush. Johanna jumps up, her hands filled with different color berries. "What the...?"

"Berries" Johanna says, swinging her brown backpack off her shoulder and dropping it on the floor. She unzips the zipper and begins to pile the berries in the bag. "A girl's gotta eat" she says with a shrug of her shoulders. "Besides.. We're going to run out of food sooner or later. It's better to be prepared than justing winging it".

Grayson nods his head in agreement, swiftly moving over to Johanna. He shoots his hand out into her bag, stealing a handful of red and blue berries. He shoves the handful in his mouth, acting as if he hasn't eaten in days. "Hey!" Johanna protests, smacking his shoulder hard. Grayson holds his hands out in surrender as berries drop out of his mouth. He tries to speak, but all it sounds like is low muffles.

"Come on" I say, crossing my arms over my chest stubbornly. "What are we, five?"

"From the way Grayson eats, I'd say he is five" Peeta says. My lips perk into a small smile before helping Johanna up. "We need to get a move on."

"Agreed" Johanna says, slinging her backpack over each shoulder.

After Grayson acting like a child, we began to walk. At our speed, we weren't getting far. There is always the occasional fight between Grayson and Johanna. If I'm not mistaken, it's obvious they have 'a thing' for one another.

I'm sure all five us can get through this. Peeta has confidence in me.. Haymitch has confidence in me...

But most importantly, I have confidence in me. And that's all that matters.