Chapter Ten: The Reek Of Death

The sky bleeds into pink and orange shades as the sun slowly sinks down. The air instantaneously begins to become cold, causing me to shiver. Not even a couple hours of walking and we made zero progress. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this whole 'travel across country' project. Yeah, I need to see President Paylor but this is going to take longer than I thought. Plus, if I hear Johanna and Grayson fight one more time, I think I might lose it. I'd rather have Gale talk to Peeta than Johanna and Grayson talk. Shocking, huh? 

The leaves crunch against the bottom of my hiking boots as I sway from one side to another. I'm already tired of walking - but I refuse to stop us. I can handle it. Besides, I'll need to get used to this feeling anyways. Nothing is as bad as what I had to go through when I was young.

Young. The feeling of being young has disappeared. In a way, I miss it with all my heart. I had my mother.. And Prim.. Even Gale. I had Greasy Sae from the Black Market and all the other towns people. I miss the hunting for food and slipping through the fence. I miss the warm comforting arms of my mother and the innocent smile of my sister. I miss my fathers hunting jacket, along with my hunting boots. 

All in all, I miss being young. Everything's changed. Just because of that one little piece of paper in the jar... That death invitation. That crumpled piece of paper everyone feared.  

Because I volunteered. Because I took my sisters spot. Because I wouldn't wan't to see my little sister die... Yet I did. 

"Look" Johanna says, breaking me out of thought. I follow her finger to where it points. 

She points at a tree with half the bark ripped off. Narrowing my eyes closer, I notice claw marks and scratches. I move closer to the tree, tracing my fingers along the scratch marks and broken bark.

"Minor Mutants" Grayson says, coming up from behind. He observes the scratch marks then moves over to the next tree. The same imprints follow along the path on every tree. "They must of came along here" 

"Where still in 12" Johanna points out, moving over to a tree. 

"So? They could of been sent to do something specific.. Maybe not to harm anyone" Gale joins in with a shrug. 

"Get real, Gale" Grayson says, glancing over his shoulder. "You've seen them. Their animals.." he says, turning back to the tree. "..Literally"

"Why do you think they came here?" Johanna asks. Grayson stays quiet for a moment before glancing farther out in the woods. 

"This doesn't make sense" he blurts out, ignoring Johanna's question completely. Grayson hurries over in the direction from where we came from, observing every tree he passes. He begins to shake his head, his eyes roaming from one side to another. 

"What do you mean?" I ask, griping onto my book-bag strap tightly. 

"These marks.." he says, pointing at the tree I stand by. "Start here. Then they continue down the woods. None of the other tree's before these have them". I glance at the rest of the group who watch Grayson intently. 

"So?" Johanna asks, crossing her bony arms over her chest. 

"So.. That means whatever was here was coming from District 12.. Not going.

I find myself standing up straighter, fear spreading across my face quickly. "How is that possible? We were just there. I'm sure we would of noticed giant beast roaming the streets" Johanna snaps. 

"That's the same question I'm wondering" Grayson responds, looking around the woods. "Whatever was in District 12 came recently."

"Or..." Gale says, pushing the hair away from his face. "Maybe it went to 13"

"Or came from 13" I say, leaning against the tree. A rush of worry blasts into me. Has Paylor sent them to 13 to destroy it? To hurt people? To take people as an Avox? Or has 13 conjoined with the Capitol? 

Everyone soon become's quiet. Thinking this through, we all take a moment of silence. 

"Should we go back?" Johanna asks, her voice breaking at the end of her sentence. 

Everyone turns to me.. Except for the quietest one here. Peeta. I notice he has his eyes on something else. He looks further into the forest, his blue eyes glowing wide with fear. We all scurry over to him, our eyes searching the forest for what he stares at. 

And there it is. 

A pool of deep red liquid stretches across the floor further down into the woods. Blood. The liquid looks almost as if it's ankle deep from what I can make out. All five of us stand frozen like a bunch of statues.. Our eyes focused on the gruesome sight. This isn't normal. None of this is. Whatever did this is not human. It's the mutants. It has to be. 

"You tell me"