Chapter Sixteen: Two fighting dogs, one clueless man, and a cripple.

"KEEP YOUR DISGUSTING FINGERS OFF ME!" a nasty voice growls viciously. Suddenly, a loud smacking noise pops in my ears, my eyes flickering open in an instant. I find Johanna sitting on a tree branch high above me, her dark hair reflecting the suns luminous rays, making it look like a halo is hovering above her head... but her facial expression says otherwise. She scrunches her face, her eyebrows furrowed together angrily. Her hands are tightened into fist, her knuckles slowly turning a pale white. "What the...?" I murmur, realising a long drawn out yawn. My eyes drift to the right - Peeta's gone. I turn my head to the left.. and so Gale. I can barley lift my head up.. The pain in my ribs stabbing vigorously. "I didn't do anything!" a distant voice yells from the ground, their tone sounding as if in pain. "Lying to my face now?!" Johanna roars, ready to pounce off the branch. "One more excuse.. ONE MORE and I'll rip your tongue out and shove it up your - " 

"What's the problem!?" I manage to croak, cutting off Johanna intentionally. Johanna snaps her head down to me, a glare raving on her face. "HE is the problem" she gnarls, pointing her finger strictly out, directing towards the ground. My eyes follow to where she is pointing. Grayson lays on his back on the woods floor, his growls in pain echoing over to us. "What now?" I groan, lifting my body carefully to a sitting position. After a long day of being trapped in a pit with a fat man in the room with a guy who almost killed me, you think I deserve a peaceful sleep, right? Ha, wrong. 

"He touched me" Johanna growls, "I woke up with his hand on my leg!" 

I draw out a long sigh. This is ridiculous. Why can't they just be mature for once? 

"LIES!" Grayson yells from the ground. Johanna darts a dangerous glare then turns back to me. "So, I did what needed to be done" she says with her head high with confidence. "I pushed him right off the tree.. That really gave him a wake up call" she adds with a devious snicker. Am I hearing her wrong? Did she actually push Grayson off a tree... while he was sleeping? Again I'm going to say it... completely immature. "Was pushing him off a tree necessary? For all you knew, you could of seriously injured him..." I explain, rubbing my tired eyes. Johanna shrugs her shoulders and crosses her arms over her chest. "That was what I was aiming for, hun" she says with a wink. She then makes herself fall of the tree branch backward. Johanna does a professional type of flip and lands safely on her feet without a scratch. She steps over Grayson, grabs her bag and strides away. Now, my problem: Getting out of the tree with two broken ribs with no ones help. Where could Peeta be? Or even Gale? And Johanna just left me.. Grayson? He's like a squashed bug on the floor. 

"Grayson!" I yell, my hand cupped over my mouth. Grayson looks up at me with a painful expression and stays quiet, waiting for me to talk. "Do you know where Peeta or Gale are?"

"They wen't to refill their water bottles... They ran out" Grayson moans, pointing to the right. "There's a stream a few meters along the way.." I nod my head and ask him how he feels. He tells me his back is aching uncontrollably, but nothings broken. He than spats out some nasty swear words behind Johanna's back. He then apologizes for not being to help be down from the tree branch.. I tell him I totally understand and that Johanna is over reacting. But then again, I am still curious if Grayson did have his hands on her.. That would be a bit of a violation (according to Johanna) but also mean that he obviously likes her. They would defiantly make somewhat of a good couple.. But there yapping would be a never ending serenade. 

Eventually, Peeta returns and climbs up the tree and helps me down. He hands me a fresh bottle of water and apologizes for not telling me where he would be. Then I realize, the sun is high up in the air which indicates it isn't morning. "Peeta" I call out, placing the bottle in my lap. He turns his head to me, his eyebrows curiously raised. "Didn't you say we would be leaving at dawn?" Peeta nods his head and takes a small sip of his water. "We wanted to let you sleep more.. You know, since you been through a lot yesterday, you need your rest if your gonna be walking down the districts." I sigh sadly, wanting to be out of district twelve already. Once again, this is my fault. 

"Putting the blame on yourself is getting old" Gale says, opening up his water bottle. It's like he can hear my thoughts from a mile away. How he does it is beyond my knowing, but from time to time, I do become curious. "Well the truth is the truth" I respond dryly while testing out my walking. I begin to do some stretching exercises Haymitch taught me whenever I pulled a muscle or sprang a limb. Hopefully, it would work on broken ribs. I painfully raise my arms above me, my pain filled whimpers catching everyone's attention. As much as I try to keep my mouth shut, I always find my self gasping for a load of air. I turn my body to the right, beginning to do some trunk twist. My eyes land on Johanna who sits beside a tree, widdling something with a spare pocket knife she must of smuggled from Gales pocket. Grayson on the other hand, leans on the same tree, glimpsing down at her work. Johanna occasionally darts him a vicious scowl and demands for him to step away from her. 

After failing with my attempts to solve my rib problem, we pack up and head out. We all keep quiet, afraid one of us might start another fight and risk separating the group. The only sound that surrounds us is the whistling of the wind and the ruffles of the branches. With every step I take, the pain feels worse and worse, but I'd rather not say anything to cause us to stop. Instead, I act like I'm healthy and feel fantastic.. But Gale continues to peek a suspicious look at me from time to time. 

Eventually we make it to the border of twelve, and to make the news even better, we enter District Eleven. The scenery instantly changes from a dry worn out woods to beautiful acres of never ending trees and. Bright colored flowers invade the healthy grass, the sun suddenly seeming much more brighter. We all shade our eyes from the dangerous rays except for Johanna who soaks up the sun, acting as if she hasn't had a tan in years. She takes in a deep happy breath and shuts her eyes, spreading out her arms joyfully. "Finally" she says breathlessly, almost looking as if shes going to plop on the grass and fall asleep. I try my best to take a deep breath as well, ignoring the pain as well as I can. The sweet warm smell of pine needles and apricots fill my nose, the aroma putting a small smile on my face. 

I think of Rue - her hometown. It's been so long since I've seen her. Her death was devastating, but I now realize she is in a better place. With the whole capitol drama stirring up, it would be best for her to stay out of it. I wouldn't want her to place herself in the face of danger - to the face of Paylor. She deserved to live her life and explore - to travel and to love, to live and to just be at her happiest state. The Capitol thought otherwise. They wanted little kids like her to suffer and fight for their lives just to escape the nightmare. Sadly, she wasn't the one to make it. Even to this day I think of her... Her family... All of those sweet poor siblings.. It sends chills down my back. 

"One district down!" Grayson pumps his fist happily, "Eleven more to go." 

I snap out of my trance and nod my head blankly as I move on down. The ends of the grass tickle my ankles while I spin in a 360 motion, happy to be away from District 12. The business we must take care of is closer. 

"Its really nice out here" Peeta says, beaming up at the honey glazed sun. 

"Much nicer than twelve" Johanna states happily, her petite body laying completely in the field of grass, her arms wide open. "Oh, much much better..."

"Hey, look over there" Grayson says, speaking over Johanna's happy mumbling. My eyes follow where Grayson points. A small town just a few meters away stands before us. From what I could tell, the place looks poor and a bit over crowded with rotten plants. "Think anyone still lives over there?" Peeta asks questioningly. 

"Only one way to find out" Gale says. 

"Our next stop - the town" Grayson agrees. 

Johanna sits up bolt right, her eyebrows fiercely furrowed together. "Do we have to?" she asks in a whiny tone that makes me think of a five year old who refuses to do as told.