Chapter Five: Johanna Mason

"Mutants I can handle” I say shrugging. “There pretty stupid”

Grayson propped his elbows onto the table and shoved his face in his hands. “Katniss you keep on forgetting, you haven’t seen what these people created. The last time you probably saw them was years ago. Things changed”.

I guess he was right. I keep on thinking I’m living in the same period from before. I don’t really feel older. Sometimes I still think I’m 17, traveling through the districts and being the mocking jay. But I’m not. I’m 24 years old. Who’s married and has 2 kids. And formally known as the mocking jay.

“Your right” Peeta says, agreeing with Grayson. I looked up at Grayson. Apparently, he was already looking at me. “How did they change?” I sigh, resting my head on my hand. “Well from the last time you probably saw them, they were weird animals right?” Grayson asks. I nodded. “Well now there sort of like half human half some other animal.”

“Okay, keep going.” I say.

“ There smart. That’s the worst thing. They picked the smartest animals, and combined them with a smart human. They look disgusting and gross, but they know how to fight. They carry huge weapons. The last one I saw had a machine gun”

Paylor did all this? Created mutant guards, just to get revenge on the main districts? And she told us nothing. When I ask how everything is going, she always tells me things are great. Now I know what she means by that. I can’t believe she just lies to my face like that. Nobody can be controlling Paylor, she’s the president. So obviously, she made this her own decision.

“So what are we going to do, mocking jay?” Peeta asks, grinning at me.

“I don’t know” I admit.

“We can go to district 2-“

“I’m not going back” Grayson says, cutting off Peeta.

I slam my hands on the table. “Okay, so let’s say we do go to District 2. What do we do from there?”

Both Grayson and Peeta shrugged. “How are we even going to get there?” I ask. They stay silent. “We need a plan!” I exclaim. “This is ridiculous! We need to go!”

I stood up and slammed my chair into the table. I walked away, leaving the house. Today was still Prims birthday, and I just keep on feeling worse and worse. Gale makes some random come back. I meet a guy in the woods who tells me what’s going on in other Districts. And Gale says he still loves me. What kind of day is this?

The sky was now officially dark, soon coming to an end. This made me put a smile on my face. I couldn’t wait till this day was over. I’m not sure exactly sure were I’m heading, but I can care less. I just don’t want to think about what’s happening in the other Districts. I would go hunting, but it was too dark and I was too tired. I decide to take a walk down to the Seam and see what’s going on. I hugged myself tightly since I had no jacket. Every time I breathed, little puffs of air came out.

I walked around the Seam in silence, watching happy families walk around. I opened the door to what used to be Greasy Sae’s shop. Now, the store got turned into a café. When I opened the door, a little bell jingled at the top, telling the manager that someone entered. Not a lot of people came into this store. Mostly because this is where Greasy Sae died. People who knew her don’t want to be reminded of her death. It was a bad one at that. And I was there for it.

When I was 19, I decided to go into Greasy Sae’s shop. As she poured my soup from the kettle, she was saying that she didn’t feel good. I kept on telling her that I could call my mother up because she was a healer. I knew my mother would know exactly how to treat her. Greasy Sae continuously refused my suggestions. She would constantly say that it was fine, and that she didn’t need a doctor. She thought it was just a cold. We both sat down at the counter, eating the fresh soup she made. All of a sudden she clasped her right hand against her chest. She bolted up out of her chair and leaned over, trying to gasp for air. I knew she wasn’t choking. She was having a heart attack. I jumped off my chair and flew over to Greasy Sae, grabbing a phone to call the medics. I had no idea what to do. Greasy Sae knocked the phone out of my hand on purpose. She collapsed on the floor hard. I slid down next to her, crying. She didn’t want me to call. Sweat was running down her forehead, dripping down onto her chin and to her neck. She took her left hand and laid it onto my hand. “My time is up” she choked out. I squeezed her hand in desperation. Why didn’t she let me save her? The medics could have been there in no time. When she finished her sentence, she stopped breathing. Her eyes were wide open, starring into mine. I was hysterical crying, slamming my fist against the floor. Eventually I had to go back home. I gently let go of her hand, placing it on her side. I took my two fingers and closed her eyes, making it less painful for the Seam to see. The word got out of course, and crowds suffocated me, asking me questions of what happened. I told them everything, letting them know that I would never forget her. We had a funeral for her, and buried her in woods, very close to Prims grave. Peeta comforted me every day, telling me that it was okay. That she’s probably more happy there than here. He was most likely right.