Twenty Two: The Aftermath

Authors Note:

Hey guys... I know... I know, it's been so long since I uploaded. I'm truly sorry. I finished school about a week and a half ago and now I'm recovering from strep throat. This chapter isn't much, if anything it's just fluff but I needed to post this in order to get to the good stuff. Again, I'm sorry, and I promise you I will be on more frequently. Another thing... Thank you all my fans and readers. You guys been so patient and so dedicated, I love you all. I'm willing to answer any questions or anything you want. Just inbox me or comment on my message board. Let me know how you feel about my writing or what not. I love you guys <3 

                                                                                      - Samantha 

 Twenty Two: The Aftermath 

Have you ever had that embarrassed feeling when you were caught when cheating on a test? When the teacher catches you in the act and everyone in the classroom looks up from their paper and stares at you. They can laugh, or taunt you, or plainly give you that sort of disgusted look. That is exactly how I feel. Paylor was now aware of the rebellion that was soon to uprise. She could be getting ready at this moment now. She is soon going to be on a winning streak. Without speaking, I lower my gaze down to the floor, too deep in thought to even respond. I don't know what to say let alone do. With one hand, I pull my hair out of it's braid, allowing my brunette hair to cascade like a dark curtain over the side of my face, sculpting my olive toned features. I run my fingers through my hair while the other hand fiddles around with a stem from a wheat plant. I have too many priorities to uphold, and with all of them weighing on my shoulders, they were slowly bringing me down. I had important responsibilities that included life and death situations, but not this many at once. And what about Haymitch and the kids? I haven't had one thought of them through out this entire trip. I promised myself I would be the type of mother my own mom wasn't, and this was tearing me away from my family. 

After a short while of drifting away from my thoughts, I finally pulled myself together to face Peeta. He was staring out into the field, out to where Johanna was sitting alone, eating a couple of berries. "You should go talk to her" Peeta murmurs, turning his head to face mine. "I would, but she's mad at me. I tried to kill her." At his last words, their's a crack in his voice, almost the warning of tears. I press my lips together and stand up, allowing my free hair to flow down my back. "She has the right to be.. But she'll get over it" I breathe out my words, pulling a few pieces of hair away from my face and behind my ear. "Get some rest, alright?" Peeta solemnly nods once and lays back, resting his head on his backpack. Inhaling a deep breath, I swayed over to Johanna, standing directly behind her. 

"What do we now?" I ask hopelessly. Johanna doesn't bother to turn around and continues eating her berries. "How would I know? You're the leader here... So lead." Her words sting. My fingers numb up a bit by her harsh words, but in a way, I was used to her cold comments. After all, she was Johanna. Ninety nine percent of the things that come out of her mouth or either sarcastic or bitter. 

"We can't go on like this" I sigh, crossing my arms over my chest. "It's either we work as a team or we go back. And obviously... Going back is out of the question." Johanna stayed still, putting down the berries beside her. Slowly, she stood up from the ground and faced me with an emotionless mien, her eyes giving off nothing but a venomous glare. "Be a team, huh?" she scoffed, placing a hand on her hip. "Gale and Grayson are captured, Peeta is still on with his psychological rant... and you. You're just playing pathetic. There is no team here, Katniss." 

"Playing pathetic?" I narrow my eyes into my own glare, my features hardening as I speak. "How am I  playing pathetic? I'm here trying to figure out what to do next while you're sitting around doing nothing!" 

"News flash. I'm not the leader here. You are." She spits out her words while shaking her head in outrage. "While you're crying over their kidnapping, I'm here. Waiting." 

"Waiting for what?" 

"Waiting for you to get your act together and toughen up. You're weak and overall, you're not the so called 'Mockingjay' we all once knew." With that, she shoves past me, striding carelessly over to Peeta. I don't bother to look back. Everything she set went straight to my heart... Her attitude hurts. But her words hurt more. The worst part of this all is that I believe her. Johanna doesn't lie... I'm obviously becoming weak. Just because two teammates are gone doesn't mean I should cry over it. 

And to prove Johanna wrong, I need to get this team back together, along with my edge. 

*******************************************

"Alright, we're in nine which means we can go two ways" Peeta explains, placing down a rock on the ground. He points at it. "This is where we are." He then places two smaller rocks next to the large one. "On the right is District 8 and on the left is District 7." 

At the mention of Seven, I saw Johanna cringe at the corner of my eye. I quickly look back at the rock diagram on the floor, attempting to keep focus. "We need to be traveling left which is towards the Capitol. The best way to get there would be cutting through Seven to Four. It's an easy short cut" he says, glancing at the two of us.  Ever since our short fight a few hours ago, we haven't spoken since. As you can see, she's extremely mad over nothing... But I can't blame her. Before I was just as mad. 

"Then from Four we travel on the main path" Johanna brakes the silence, digging her finger into the dirt and makes a straight line all the way over to the largest rock on the floor, indicated as the Capitol. "From the Capitol, me and you find Gale and Grayson and Mockinjay over here goes to Paylor."

"That's not official" Peeta points out, running his fingers through his blond locks. "For now that's the plan, but when we actually get there, then we'll figure out who's going with who."

"Deal" Johanna sighs, leaning her elbow on her knee. She winces slightly and shoots a worried glance down at her leg then to her chest. Slowly, she runs her fingers over the deep wound that was now blistering across from shoulder to shoulder. 

"We should leave tonight" I add, biting down on my lip. "You need medical help as quick as possible." 

"And what makes you think the Capitol is willing to give?" Johanna grumbles, scraping away a patch of dried up blood on her leg. 

"Doesn't matter if they're willing to or not. We'll steal it. As long we get some sort of medicine, you'll be fine." 

"Infection starts quick" Peeta sighs, peering over at Johanna's wounded chest. "If anything, we should start moving now." 

"Agreed."