Chapter Fourteen: Three Bullets

My dream preoccupies my mind more than being held captive. I'm not even aware of my setting instantly. I first have a freak out inside before realizing where I am. A white spacious room with many monitors and unfamiliar weapons surround the four walls that hold me. In the back of the room, lifeless bodies lay upright with monitors as well as metal head bands holding them up. In front of me, Doug and the woman stare at me in a peculiar way. I keep quiet, letting my confused glare do all the talking. 

"You" Doug growls from in between gritted teeth. "Who do'ya think you are, striding aroun' here? How in Paylors name did you -" 

"Doug - calm down" the woman says soothingly. "You'll never get far with a tone like that."  She turns to me with a raised eyebrow and clears her throat before speaking. "We would like to ask you some questions... For starters, who are you?" 

"First, who are you?" I spit out angrily, furrowing my brows together. The woman gives me a surprised look before she holds back Doug who trembles with his anger issues. "I am Doctor Gemini Reverson.. Now, your turn". I let out an airy breath, thinking I might as well give her my name... Or a fake name. "Drita" I say, blabbing anything that come's out of my mouth. "Drita Nor..a..son. Drita Norason."

Really, Katniss? Drita Norason? Is that the best you could come up with? 

"Drita Norason.. What district do you come from?" Doctor Gemini asks, scribbling something down on her clipboard. "Uh.. Eleven" I quickly say, nodding my head. "I was in the woods, coming to visit my friend... Johanna... When uh, I fell. The whole ground fell with me and well... Here I am. Believable enough?" I say sarcastically. Gemini narrows her eyes suspiciously and scribbles some more on the clipboard. "Barley" she replies flatly. She turns to Doug and nods her head, glances back at me, then exits the room and out of sight. Doug moves over to the metal door and flips the lock shut. 

"Lies" he grumbles, shaking his meaty head. "Lies lies lies. You know what we do to liars like you?" 

"Kill them, put them in a box and ship them off to who knows where?" I growl, playing uneasy. If these people think they are going to get away with a crime like this, they're wrong. I'm not going to play the little innocent girl who just happened to fall in a hole... Even if that did happen. But no one ever said I am innocent. These guys... These guys right here are the opposite of innocent. They murdered my friend to turn her into one of those mutant auto bots or what not. This man right here thinks he can walk all over me because I'm just some random citizen. Wrong. 

"You little -" Before he could even finish his sentence, he raises his hand and slaps it right across my face. My cheek instantly blisters red, my skin feeling as if it were on fire. I sit there jaw dropped, actually shocked he would raise his hand to me... A woman in the matter of fact. I refuse to stop here. He's going to get it hard. Just watch.

"Violence won't erase the truth" I snap sharply, ignoring the pain as much as I can. It's bad enough my ribs on fire - now my cheek feels the same. "But it sure will shut you up" Doug growls through gritted teeth. "You'll be ending up like the rest of them. Locked up and dead" he adds with a malicious snort. That's when I begin to panic. What am I going to do while locked up? Plus my aching ribs. I'm pretty much dead end useless. All because I left the group.. This is ridiculous. I can't take back my mistake, so I might as well fix it. To beat the villain, you have to be a better villain. 

"Oh really now? And how do you plan on doing that?" I question, pretty much asking to get slapped again. Doug's lips form into a devious grin before he turns around, moving towards the door once again.."I thought you'd never ask" he says grimly, sticking his head out of the doorway. "Luke!" he calls, pounding his fist on the metal door. "Get in here!" 

Within minutes, a tall dark haired man steps in the room. He instantly reminds me of Gale. He wears gray washed out jeans with a solider camouflage shirt, a long shot gun hangs from his shoulder. His olive skin covers in a bit of black stubble on his face, his dark eyes looking like tiny black holes. "What do you want?" Luke asked, his tone filled with annoyance, almost as if he doesn't want to be here. He takes one good glance at me before his black eyes widen with shock. "Her.." he mumbles. 

"What about her?" Doug grumbles, starring from me to him. I stare at Luke, hoping desperately he won't give me away. If they find out who I really am, that shotgun won't have any bullets left. Luke hesitates for a moment and shakes his head, fixing the gun on his back. "Nothing. This is the girl you want me to..." Doug nods and glares at me one more time before turning his obese body away and exits the room. Luke watches him leave then turns back to me. 

"Katniss Everdeen, am I correct?" Luke asks, his eyebrows arching together. Besides the fact that he has a huge resemblance to Gale, he doesn't seem all so threatening. I slowly nod my head, knowing this can be a huge mistake. "I knew your face when I saw you. You're the girl who led this country to freedom" he says, slipping the gun off his shoulder. "Didn't really last long. From where I come from, everyone is under Paylors power. Slavery.. Child Labor.. You name it. This is the time we need you." I raise my chin high and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. "What do you think I'm trying to do? Surely not taking a walk in the woods" I say, almost in a whisper. "I was on my way. Now I'm here." 

"Big mistake" Luke sighs, loading three bullets in his shot gun. "This place isn't for hero's, but for those who don't want to die. For those who have no choice but to kill just to keep the ones they love safe.." A strange vibe come from him. Only a couple of minutes I've been with him and I feel like I knew him forever. What am I doing? Why am I befriending the enemy? I think I'm loosing it. Luke slips the last bullet in the shot gun then locks it shut. "Once you come in here, there's no going back." He slowly points the shotgun at me, aiming it directly at my heart. "And sorry for you, you were here at the wrong time." And with that, his fingers slither down to the trigger. I find myself sitting up a bit straighter, my heart pounding faster and faster. Sweat slowly trickles down my face as every thought I ever had drifts away. 

This is the last of me, I think to myself. I barley came through and this is where I stand. This is where I failed. Just because I left the group. Millions of people will die from suffrage because of you. Because I failed in doing my task. 

Luke takes a deep breath and positions himself. "Sweet dreams, MockingJay" he mumbles. 

He pulls the trigger and the gunshot pops my ears. I shut my eyes tightly, my fingers griping hard on the metal chair. This is it... This is it... What? Nothing hurts. I don't feel blood.. I feel fine. Other than my burning ribs, I feel... fine? 

I'm dead. I must of died so quickly that I didn't even feel it. The gun was pointed directly at my heart. This is the end of me, Katniss Everdeen, the once retired MockingJay. My first visit will be to Peeta. Once he finds out I'm dead, he'll be crushed. And my kids? They will be even more crushed. They won't have a mother who loves her children dearly. There will be no wife  to help Peeta when one of his episodes brakes loose. There will be no one mother to tuck in her children when it's time for bed. There will be no wife to greet in the morning. There will be no one to tell them 'I love you' every day, knowing with all my soul and heart that it's true. They aren't just words - they mean something. I love my family and I ruined it all. I want Peeta to find my body.. For him to hold me even when I'm lifeless. I want him to bring my body to the woods where my father used to take me. I want him to dig up a ditch and lay my body in a coffin with my bow and arrow. I want my MockingJay pin on while the ceremony begins. I want them to remember as a fighter, a solider and a victor. I want Peeta to hold on to me, his fingers curled around mine. I want him to tell me that he will love me forever until the day he dies - and even after that. I want him to kiss me goodbye, along with my kids. I then want them to close my casket and bury me down into the depths of the earth, next to my sister. We will lie there together until the earth takes us hostage... Until we decay... Together. 

Yet I feel the same I had. Taking in all my courage, I open my eyes. 

I'm still in the room. I'm still locked to a chair. I'm still alive

But Luke isn't.