Chapter Eighteen: Paper Skin

I find myself clutching onto Peeta's shoulder for support as I beam at the slippery clear liquid filled with human eyeballs. On my right, Johanna has a gagging fit while Grayson grimaces with a sour expression. Peeta furrows his light eyebrows together, the creases in his forehead becoming exposed. Gale coughs roughly, glancing over his shoulder to me with raised eyebrows. The sight is just unexplainable. The thought alone of villagers tearing out the Pilots eyes is just disgusting. My eyes squint at the jar, trying to look away but having a strange feeling that I have to look at it. The eyeless man who shows us the jar eventually turns away, disappearing into the next room over. 

"How do you take their, uh, eyeballs out?" Peeta speaks up, sounding very unsure with himself. The little girl turns to him, her face expressionless and empty of life. "Rip them from the sockets" she says all too innocently. From behind, I could hear Johanna smack her hand over her mouth to keep herself from throwing up. "That is sick" Johanna murmurs sharply, shaking her head in outrage. "That is sick and disgusting." 

"Moving on..." I speak over Johanna, who continues to babble on. "We just wanted to, you know, make sure you were aware of what's going on in the Capitol." The little girl keeps her eyes plastered to Johanna as the blond woman gazes at me with a small nod. "I suppose it is time for me to show you your living space" she says dreamily, her eyes now lightening up. Blinking in confusion, I shake my head. "What - ? No. We're just going to continue on down the districts" I inform her as I back away towards the door. Coming here was a total mistake. Remind me I need to give Johanna a slap on the back of the head when we leave this hell hole. Peeta and Johanna are right by my heels, Grayson and Gale behind them. The little girl hurries over to us and snatches Gales wrist, wrenching him back. "You must stay" she says in a squeaky voice, her large dark eyes beaming hopefully up at Gale. Gale turns around with knitted brows, obviously thinking of a good enough excuse to leave. 

"We have to" Johanna retorts, a little to sharply. The blonde woman moves over to us and takes Johanna by the wrist as well. Johanna casts a dark dangerous glare at the woman before attempting to wrench her wrist away from her. The woman held on with a tight grip. "Get. Off. Of. Me" Johanna growls, her eyes gleaming with a fierce pit bull like scowl. The woman simply shakes her head and pulls Johanna forward, causing her to stumble forward. 

"No Thalia, we will take this one instead" the blond woman says with another push of Johanna. 

"What's wrong with you?" I spit angrily, stepping up to Johanna and her. "Let her go." I forcefully pull off the blond woman's wrist, grab Johanna, and make my way over to the door without looking back. Grayson and Gale are already out of the door when moans and groans erupt from behind us. Taking a quick peak behind me, I completely freeze in place. "Come on Katniss, hurry up" Johanna whines frustratedly, trying to push me out the door. I shake my head slowly, indicating for her to turn around. "What now - ?" she sneers in annoyance. That's when she freezes in place as well. 

In front of us, eyeless men and women circle around us, resembling a group of zombies extremely well. Their paper like skin glows in the cascading sunlight from the doorway; their matted hair and dead like features filling the sight. Johanna swiftly gripped onto my shoulder and pushed me out of the doorway first. "Get out. Leave. I'll take them" she demanded strictly. Before she could exit herself, several gray hands grabbed hold of her. Dozens of hands revealed themselves out of the darkness of the hallway, forcefully snatching Johanna to claim. Johanna wrenched herself away from them, yet more came, sticking and plastering themselves onto her like glue. 

"What's going on?" Peeta called from the porch. The sound of boots hitting against wood thumped louder and louder until Peeta returned to the doorway. "What the hell?" he instantly brushed past me and grabbed Johanna, attempting to push her out of the doorway. "Guys...guys....GUYS!" I screamed over the thunderous moans from the house. Once again, a well planned out mission failed. Gale and Grayson both shot be curious looks. "Come over here!"