Chapter Fifteen: A Golden Life

Luke's body lays lifeless on the floor, a deep bullet hole piercing through his blood stained chest. The gun he once held lays next to him untouched. My eyes widen dramatically, my stomach feeling as if it dropped fifty feet down my body. What just happened? My gaze glides upward, noticing a tall buff figure standing proudly in the doorway. Walking clearly into the room, I become even more shocked. My jaw instantly drops, the pain in my ribs fading away within minutes. Gale holds a tight grip on a silver army  handgun, his eyes glaring at Luke with a deadly scowl. His gaze shifts to mine, his jaw tightening by the sight of me. Gale lowers the hand gun, loading and locking two more bullets before striding over to me, a blank look taking place on his features. He doesn't bother to say a word to me.. instead he viciously rips off the band around my head, arms and legs, freeing me. I stare at him in disbelief. Did the rest of the group come along with him? Or did he go back like I did? 

"Come on" Gale says through his teeth, nodding his head over at the door with a stern expression. His eyes look a bit watery as he stares at Luke's body, now half covered in dribbling blood. Hesitantly, I slowly stand up from the seat, but keep still while standing. "Where did you come from?" is the only thing I'm able to ask. Gale inhales a deep breath and ignores my question, swiftly walking out of the spacious white room. I bolt for it, following him behind with his fast pace. "How did you get here?" I question, needing some answers before I mentally explode. "A hole" Gale says as if it was obvious. He stops walking and observes me from head to toe. "..The hole you must of fell into." His sarcastic tone instantly hits me. "The ground fell on me. I got fumbled along with it" I explain, glancing from the gun to him. Gale darts a peculiar look and continues to observe me. "Are you alright?" he asks, his voice a bit husky and off tone. "Other than my 'who knows how' many broken ribs and my blistering cheek, I'm all good" I grumble madly. Gales gaze soften almost instantly when I mention my broken ribs. "Hard fall, huh?" he says. His eyes move from my face to my ribs, a questioning expression... I nod my head, giving him permission. 

I inhale a deep painful breath before raising my arm upward, revealing my left side. I click my tong angrily, my breathing becoming deficient. Gale reaches out for me, his rough hands lifting up the left side of my shirt, exposing my bare skin. He uses his other hand to run his fingers along the wounded area. Gale makes a face and  bites his bottom lip. With every touch, I shut my eyes and jolt in pain. "Damn..." he mutters under his breath, his voice barley audible. His cold finger tips graze my ribs before he hesitates.. He then lifts my shirt back down and brakes me the news. 

"Defiantly broken" Gale explains. "Maybe two.. three ribs? By the way one of your bones is sticking out, I can tell it's going to be a while for them to heal." News I already knew. I exhale a hollow breath. "Great.." I murmur. Then I realize something. Doug and Doctor Gemini can come out any time and spot us.. Then my life will defiantly end there. "Where are the others?" I hiss sharply, changing the topic. "And where did you get that gun?"

"The others are outside.. Peeta wanted to go back right when you stormed off.. But Johanna being Johanna dragged us along to keep moving.. She kept on saying you'll come back.. But when you didn't, that's when me and Peeta both knew something was up.." Gale explains. "So, me and Peeta ranted about it.. Johanna had no choice but to follow us.. We threatened to strand her. We all wen't back and.. ta dah" he says, flailing his arms up. "A giant hole equals a wounded Katniss. Simple math" Gale adds with a joking smirk. None if this seems shocking to me. Even though Johanna is one of my good friends, she knows what has to be done. In her mind, business before friendship. She would free the districts before saving me. 

"And the gun?" I ask, nodding my head at the shining silver army looking gun. "Oh yeah" Gale says, holding it up. "I stole it from some big guy in the ditch. He threatened to tazer me."