32: Mother Knows Best

Shawn came out of the bathroom only to discover that Abrielle was asleep with the baby laying across her chest, like she was his bed.

He left the room and ran into Erma in the kitchen. "Can I talk to you, Ms. Chavez?"

"What about?" she asked, starting on breakfast.

"I want to apologize, ma'am."

She dropped the whole carton of eggs in her hand, freezing at that word.

"Pardon? Apologize for what?" she asked, looking as surprised and frantic as she felt.

Shawn picked up the eggs and took out the three she hadn't broken.

"We got off on a bad foot. I wanted to talk to you last week. But I didn't know if I should. I been thinking. I never really gave you a fair chance to give Abrielle to me. I just took her. And the last six months, Abrielle been chastising you for just wanting to be with your daughter. Nobody said nothing to me. You and Abrielle already had it kin'a rocky before I made my appearance, and I ain't help that none. I'm sorry, Ms. Chavez."

Erma stood there at a loss for words. She would never have expected that in a million years.

"I accept your apology," she finally managed. "And I know you love her. The way you are around her, I can see that's different. I never had a problem with you loving her."

"What was the problem?"

"Her loving you."

Shawn said nothing, just looking at Erma. Her words... The tone of them told Shawn there was something else. And she continued.

"I did have my heart set on her being with Daryl. He was such a nice young man. But the more I stay and watch you love my daughter, I realize Daryl was never as good to her as you are. You don't like me. But you value Abrielle's love for me enough. I'll admit to giving you a hard time. And I'm not sorry for that. You did take my only little girl away from me before I was ready to watch her be a grownup. But I won't give you a hard time anymore."

The two shook on it, and Erma began her task of making breakfast while Shawn went to feed the dog. He'd let her in the house, but then she would run straight to Abrielle, who was a bit preoccupied with her human baby.

Shayla was outside, lying in the grass, a pair of sunglasses on. She briefly acknowledged her brother.

"Why are you wearing sunglasses at seven in the morning?"

"Shawn, why you been talking so much lately, man? What is that?"

Shawn rolled his eyes and went back in the house.

He went upstairs to find Abrielle coming out of the bathroom, freshly showered. "Good morning, esposo," she smiled, moving to hug him. He leaned down to kiss her.

"Good morning. Why is there a small person missin'?"

"Nurse Carla is in the nursery with him, feeding him."

"I see."

Shawn sat down on the chair and asked his wife to sit with him; but she wanted to lie down and get some sleep. So he climbed into bed beside her and put his arms around her.

She rested her head against his chest, relaxing into him. She appreciated knowing that although she couldn't have sex, Shawn would still be close with her.

Abrielle fell asleep and Shawn laid there, preparing in his mind to get Abrielle and the baby away from the house for a little while so he could up the security on it.