21: Promise

Shayla walked around the mall with her brother while Evan and Larielle were in the Victoria's Secret Pink store, and one of Shawn's few trusted men- Tate-accompanied Abrielle.

"You wanna tell me what you're up to?" Shawn asked casually, picking up a bracelet Abrielle might like.

She looked outside at the men that had passed this jewelry store ten times already. She knew they were waiting until she separated from her brother.

Shayla smirked and looked up at her brother. "Not particularly, no."

"Eh, that sucks, don't it, big sis. I'm smarter than you gave me credit for. Spill."

Shayla took the bracelet and tried it on. "I knew it was only a matter of time before you found me out."

"I knew you were never crazy. And I know you don't still have those big episodes. I'm not Evan, Shayla. Keep in mind, I know your every move. I'll admit, you had me fooled awhile."

Shayla gasped sarcastically. "Did I? What gave me away?" she teased, tossing the bracelet back to him. "Wifey will like it."

"Shayla, you're joking and I'm not. Do you see a problem here?"

"Nope. Your nephew's coming."

Evan came in with Larielle, and Shawn gave his sister a look. She was being cute right now, and he didn't like it one bit.

"Hey, do you guys know where Bri is? I'm trying to ditch Evan for a little while."

"Ouch," he told her, joking. He knew why she wanted to separate. He could see her every move and she wanted to buy him a gift.

"There she is. I suggest you catch up," Shawn told her, watching Tate follow behind Abrielle at a far enough distance that let her feel like she didn't have a bodyguard but at a close enough distance to be able to protect her.

"Thanks. See you later," she told Evan, kissing him and running off. "Abrielle! Wait up!"

Abrielle slowed for her friend and the girls linked arms. "I can't buy Evan a gift without him knowing what it is. He sees everything!"

"Ya don't say?"

"Remember when mi madre said she has eyes behind her head? Do boyfriends get those too?"

"Oooh, boyfriend?" Bri joked, bumping shoulders.

"Yeah. He gave me this." Larielle pulled her sweater sleeve up and showed Abrielle the bracelet with the gemstones in it. It looked ancient. "It's hideous. But I like it. He said he got it from his mom. She got it from her dad or something."

"It is pretty ugly," Abrielle agreed.

"I like it anyway." Larielle shrugged and smiled as they continued on.

"They're watching us," Abrielle told her, pulling her off.

Larielle looked over her shoulder and waved to Evan as her pregnant best friend pulled her along.

"Is she wearing my dad's bracelet?" Shayla asked.

"What if she is?"

Shayla raised her hands in surrender and chuckled. "Just wondering. I'm surprised she accepted that ugly thing."

Evan rolled his eyes. "I'm going to go to Foot Locker. Don't start a fire while I'm away."

"We'll try," Shawn humored him in a dry tone.

Evan left and Shawn looked at his sister, waiting until Evan was a store over before resuming conversation.

"Shayla, when we get home, I want my answers."