5: Legal

Abrielle woke up to Shawn banging on her door and growled. "What?" she asked, annoyed.

He just waltzed in, grinning, and sat on the foot of the bed.

"I guess you don't want the gift I got you."

"Gift for what? Managing not to smother you in your sleep? I've considered it."

He laughed. She kept threatening murderous violence. Oh, if she only had a clue what he could do.

"You're cute. Happy birthday. You of legal age now, li'l baby doll."

"Shit! Really?!"

He raised a brow, watching her get up and mumble in Spanish, pacing in her pajamas. He guessed she had forgotten her own birthday.

"No, no, no. Ay," she groaned.

"What's wrong wit you?"

"I had plans for today a long time ago, and you killed them."

"Tough. Do you want this thing or no? Damn."

She noticed the little home spa kit, and she accepted it. She deserved to at least be able to pamper herself.

"Okay, bye!"

He laughed and got comfortable on the bed, hands behind his head. She narrowed her eyes at him and went to get clothes to wear, setting the spa kit on the dresser, going to the bathroom to brush her teeth and start showering. She already knew Shawn would tell her to.

"Your girlfriend wanna see you today," he teased.

"You can suck my dick," she called through the closed door, turning on the shower. She still didn't find that shit amusing. If that bitch tried to touch her again, she wouldn't try to stab her; she would succeed. No meant no in every country.

"Ain't hardly no dick between them legs, sugar. I should know."

She was so glad he couldn't see her as she flushed, her ears and neck turning a deep red along with her face. At the same time, it did something funny to her body, and when she got in the water, she bit her lip, touching herself in reminisce. That had happened once.

When she got out of the shower, she could hear Shawn on the phone, still in her room.

"Evan, I shouldn't have to tell you go see my sista every fucking day, man. You know I don't like repeating myself. I's like you want me to come home wit a souvenir ass whupping for you."

She had never heard the name and decided to mind her own business.

She dressed and stepped out of the bathroom. Shawn looked her over appreciatively and got off the phone.

"Are you sure you don't wanna see home girl?"

She gave him an ugly look and moved to put on deodorant.

"Don't irritate me, Shawn."

He laughed and leaned on the wall. She turned and looked at him.

"When do you sleep?"

"See, that is classified information. All you needa worry about is putting on shoes so we can go."

She sucked her teeth, going to get her shoes. "Where are we—"

"Is you asking questions, Abrielle?"

"I do not like you."

"You keep telling me this. Have it changed anything for you since the last twenty times you said it?"

Rolling her eyes, she fixed herself up, and he led her out to the car, taking her to have breakfast. Then they spent their day together.

They concluded the evening with dinner. He teased that her girlfriend was coming, and she was relieved when she realized he was only poking fun at her.

Their waiter, lucky for Shawn, spoke English. "It's her birthday," he told him, smiling at Bri as she blushed and sunk in her seat.

The wait staff sang a Spanish birthday song, and she got a sundae. When they were gone, Abrielle glared at Shawn.

"You got a kick of that, didn't you?"

"Yep," he admitted, grinning. "You should enjoy your sundae."

"I was embarrassed for it. Might as well!"

She ate her sundae, and he sat there, playing with his phone.

"Can I have some?"

"Fuck no."

He chuckled and shook his head. "You selfish."

"What do you think this is? Some kinda soup kitchen? Feed the abductor?"

He laughed, took the glass and ate a spoonful of ice cream. She gave him a ugly look. "Why the fuck would you try to give that shit back to me?"

"Abrielle, quit acting like you never drank behind me."

"I haven't."

"I can show you proof."

The look she gave challenged him. He laughed and went to the surveillance videos and found her waking up while he sat there drinking Coke. He showed her drinking the Coke behind him.

Her eyes widened in horror. "Oh my God! I don't know where your mouth has been!"

He just smiled smugly. "You know where it been, honey. Eat your ice cream so we can go."

"I don't want it."

He rolled his eyes and looked up at her. "Girl, eat that ice cream," he ordered.

She ate the ice cream like it might burn her tonsils. He shook his head and paid his check so they could go.

When they got back to the house, she went and showered. He went and started packing.

She put on her bikini, seeing Shawn with his packed suitcase.

"You're leaving. Now?" she asked, almost afraid to actually be left alone here.

"I shoulda left a week ago. But I didn't want you by yourself for your birthday. Look, if something happens, this is what you do," he told her, passing her a folded up piece of paper.

She looked at the paper and followed him down the stairs to the door. "Shawn, I don't wanna be here by myself all the time. What if—"

"Nothing is going to happen. I'll be back soon."

He stroked her hair and she looked up at him, pleading not to be left alone.

"I'll see you soon," he said softly, leaning down, pressing his lips to hers, his large hands wrapping around her waist.

She had never been kissed before. But she closed her eyes and let him part her lips, his tongue brushing hers. It left her breathless.

"I'll be back. Happy birthday, baby."

She watched him go, standing there and watching as the car swerved off.

She closed the door and went to the pool to try and clear her mind.

Doing a graceful dive, she imagined that she was back in her parents backyard.