Surprises

Halia struggled through the oppressive haze choking her mind, desperately clawing to the surface. Her body slowly registered her command and her eyes hesitantly opened, filtering light through. She suddenly gasped in pain at the battered state of her limbs, a myriad of cuts and bruises adorning her arms and legs. Halia laid sprawled out on sharp pine needles that dug into her back, making her nudity painfully apparent. She rose with a wince as her muscles spasmed, unused to remaining still for so long. Warily surveying her surroundings she quickly came to the realization that she had no clue where she was. She knew she was somewhere in the eastern plains but there was no recollection of just how far into the foreign territory she was. The last time she'd been lucid she woke to find herself covered in blood, a mutilated deer carcass a few paces away. The moment had passed swiftly, her mind once again darkening under the reign of her beast.

Pangs of hopelessness made tears burn her eyes. She couldn't live like this much longer. She had no control over herself and it would only be a matter of time before she wound up dead, from hunters or otherwise. The brief moments of clarity she was allowed made her all the more distraught. If she was going to be a mindless animal she wanted to stay that way. She didn't want to wake up to find that she'd murdered a town full of innocents.

Halia's ears pricked at the sound of rushing water and she shuffled in its direction, maneuvering through the thick underbrush of the forest. She hissed as her ankle dragged across a bramble, a thin line of blood immediately surfacing. Ignoring the slight sting she continued toward the river, her nose eagerly inhaling the earthy scents in the air. Blinking in surprise she opened her mouth to further taste the air. Something is off... What was that? It was slightly sweet with a metallic bite. She watched the area for any movement in the trees but there was nothing. The clearing remained quiet save for the soft chirps and squeaks of small animals.

Pinching her brow she resumed walking, muttering to herself. "It's not bad enough I've lost my mind, now I'm imagining things too?"

Dropping to her knees by the river's edge she splashed water on her face, hardly registering the chill. It felt so good to wash the grime off after weeks without properly bathing. She was so engrossed that she didn't notice the man lurking behind her until he reached out and grabbed her, roughly pulling her into his chest.

Halia bucked in fear, writhing in the stranger's arms. Even without seeing him she knew he wasn't human, his abnormal strength the clearest indicator. "Let go!" She gasped as he squeezed tighter, compressing her ribs.

"Why are you here, mutt?" He hissed into her ear, easily subduing her thrashing.

She ignored his insult. "What? I don't--" Her wolf abruptly clamped down on her mind, shoving her aside. The transition happened so quickly, Halia was helpless to resist the rage that blinded her. Her eyes blackened when she fainted, the last remnants of restraint stripped away.

Caedus watched with growing agitation as the female shifted, lunging at Biron's throat. The older vampire couldn't just leave her alone, like Cade had suggested. She hadn't seen or scented them. They could have left without getting into a fight, but no, the male was eager for violence. And the she-wolf was giving Biron exactly what he wanted by challenging him. While he didn't blame her defending herself, he was pissed at the male. He'd instigated this fight when there had been no reason to. Now Biron had no choice but to kill her since she'd wandered too close to their mountain. It wouldn't take much for her to put two and two together to figure out that a vampire nest was close by. If she let the rest of her pack know they would be screwed, not only because werewolves outnumbered vampires 4-1 but also due to the sickness currently plaguing the coven. That's why he was out here in the first place, gathering herbs for his medicine. Biron was supposed to be helping him but now he regretted asking for his assistance.