Issues

Hizen made good on his promise.

Many, many times.

Sahira lifted out his lap with a wet squelch of skin, moaning weakly. She collapsed onto the space beside him and snuggled herself along his flank. Hizen was hardly winded, refractory period nonexistent. He could keep going. But that's not what she needed from him right now.

Long arms pulled Sahira close as Hizen wrapped her in a cocoon of blankets and sated vampire. Cool lips pressed to her brow and she swooned, mewling for more when he shifted.

"Hush," he pecked another kiss to her cheek. "I'm not going anywhere."

His words quieted her fussing and she deflated with a content sigh. "Good...because I wouldn't let you."

A soft rumble of laughter vibrated the air between them and Hizen tipped her chin with a nudge of his finger. "That's a bold statement, little wolf. How could you stop me?" Physical restraints wouldn't work and she was barely a threat herself—

Hizen blinked at the hazy smile on her lips, warm brown eyes at half-mast.

What?

"You like me," Sahira pushed herself onto her elbows and touched her mouth to his in a brief kiss. "That's enough."

He didn't let her slip away as she tried to duck back into her burrow. Hizen dug her out and circled a loose hand around her throat, thumb stroking her pulse. His grip wasn't tight or restrictive. The brush of his fingers was thoughtful and his mind worked as he caressed soft skin. Under normal circumstances, there was little that flustered Hizen. He wasn't exactly flustered now either, if his outward nonchalance was to be believed. But something stirred in his gut that felt achingly familiar to want. True want, and not just a passing fancy. The kind of want that made him want to hoard and covet, indulge and be indulged. This want made him dizzy with desire and a strange nostalgia of warmth. Of things that hadn't yet happened but could, if only there was a small push...

Hizen let his hand slide away from her exposed neck, touch trailing down the dip of her spine instead. This wasn't the moment for him to stew.

Stewing was reserved for later, when he had his pants on.

Sahira didn't squeak when his palms cupped the backs of her thighs and hauled her into the cradle of his hips. But she did when he nibbled the point of her ear, tongue laving along the shell as he crooned.

"I certainly do."

***

Ray had to be physically restrained from throwing himself down the path to Hizen's room. Cade grunted as he was forced back a step, lips pulling in an answering snarl when his friend snapped sharp teeth.

"Will you quit it? Just—stay here, I'll go."

"No," Ray was shaking with anger. Cade had never seen him so upset. "You stay with Halia. If they took Biron and the kid, what's to stop them from taking her?"

Halia pushed herself between the two posturing men just as Cade rumbled, "Me."

"Uh, excuse me. No one will be taking anyone else. We're wasting time standing here," she grabbed both by a wrist and started impatiently. "Jude doesn't have time." The thought that the siblings had led her old pack to the mountain had never crossed her mind. She wouldn't allow it to. They were children. Children who had fled a pack fractured under its own weight. Jude and Sahira had told her of the fighting and senseless bloodshed, of the attacks on human towns and consequences that followed.